Open SMS Messages disappear from my phone and Join if I click the chrome notification

Discussion in 'Join' started by eMadman, Nov 4, 2016.

1. eMadman

eMadman New Member

As the subject says - if I get a text message notification in Chrome through Join and I click it, the message gets deleted before I have a chance to read it or reply. The message seems to be completely lost - I can't find them in Textra, my stock messaging app, or in Join's log. Reboot and cache clear doesn't seem to fix it.

However, if I wait a few seconds before clicking the notification icon or view the message on my phone first, it doesn't seem to do that. I have lost a good portion of a conversation this morning because of this issue.

2. yochananmarqos

yochananmarqos New Member

That just happened to me, too.

3. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi there. Maybe there's a bug with the messaging app if the notification is dismissed right away? Because that's what happens when you click the notification, join will dismiss it on the phone for you...

4. eMadman

eMadman New Member

I'm getting the sense that my issues might be with the combination of Textra, Join, and Doze modes. Join seems to get the notifications for most of my apps before the apps display them on my phone.

Join frequently shows notifications before the apps themselves (likely due to powersaving). If Join dismisses the notification before the app displays it, is it possible for Textra to somehow delete the message before it gets displayed? That sounds like a really convoluted edge case

5. joaomgcd

I'm really not sure how Textra handles it, sorry. All I know is that Join never deletes anything from the SMS database right now so I find it very hard to believe that Join would have a hand in deleting the message. Sorry, wish I could be of more help :(

6. pallethechu

pallethechu New Member

Bringing this one back from the dead. This has been happening for me lately.
    I don't have anything complex on my Galaxy S7 Edge. Just Android Messages and Join.
    If I see a notification through Join on my Chrome-- I click it. Join doesnt update the text conversation even though it says the message occurred. Then I look on my phone for that message and it's not there-- my assumption was the Join just pulled the notification before the phone ever got it.
    Now if I ignore the message until my phone buzzes-- the message will be on my phone and the join-chrome extension will show the conversation.

Help.

7. joaomgcd

@pallethechu do you mean that the Messages app in Android doesn't even list the message even if you manually open the app and browse your messages?

8. pallethechu

pallethechu New Member

Yep, exactly. The Android Messages app-- if i open the join notification first-- wont show that text message. Both Join and Android Messages shows nothing

9. duong

duong New Member

I'm having this issue too. It's super annoying and I keep losing texts.

I'm using Android Messages and Join only as well. Nothing complicated and I'm seeing the same behaviour the other user is seeing.

10. twjerome

twjerome New Member

This has happened to me at least three times in the past two weeks. Just using Android Messages and Join for Chrome. Several texts have gone missing from both join and my phone. I can see the beginning of a missing text in Join's SMS preview list, but when I click on it it's not there. a minute or so later, the preview of the missing text vanishes too.

11. Cory

Cory New Member

I'm experiencing this too. No matter how many times I refresh in the extension, the SMS list doesnt update.

If I wake my phone up, then it updates. Seems odd that the doze in Android is killing the refresh of data to Join, but not enough to kill the alert.

12. Dioxyde

Dioxyde New Member

Are you guys logged in to chrome with the google account that is synced with Join? I was having this exact issue but realized I wasn't signed into chrome itself and the second I logged in all the messages came in no problem.

13. Michael M.

Michael M. New Member

I have been noticing this same issue over the past week. I sometimes will see the SMS popup via the Chrome Extension, but it doesn't show up in the extension. When I check my phone, I do not see the message at all. Also, have been informed of SMS messages sent to me that I do not seem to get. I am going to uninstall Join for a bit to see if I still have the problem. I really hope it's not an issue with Join and/or a problem between my messaging app (Google's Android Messages) and Join.

14. PatternRec

PatternRec New Member

I've been having the same issue too with missing messages that I see in a popup but then don't show in the phone or worse, ones I don't even know see at all. I've twice in a week had people copy and paste messages sent to me wondering why I didn't reply, and missed an important meeting as a result. I believe both were in group messaging/MMS. Had to uninstall for now until this gets resolved.

15. Aephir

Aephir New Member

Hi,

Same here. Sorry, I didn't find this before opening a new thread. I'll cross-link: Other thread

16. yochananmarqos

The same just started happening to me on a freshly factory reset Nexus 5X on Android 8.0. I'll get a notification in Chrome that I've received an SMS, but it does not appear at all in Google Messages on my phone or in the SMS/Phone tab in Join. I tried clearing the app cache & data for Messages, but it happened again.

17. PatternRec

PatternRec New Member

Hmm I've been following this thread since I have the same issue. I also have a Nexus 5x. I don't see how a particular phone model could cause this type of issue but posted here just in case it's relevant, though the issue started happening before my phone updated to Android 8.0.

18. Aephir

Aephir New Member

Which messaging app are people using?

joaomgcd mentions that only the default messaging app has access to delete SMS. And I see that while this happens only when I have join installed, it is also only happening on "Android Messages", not on the stock messaging app on a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge. Not that I've noticed, at least.

19. yochananmarqos

I'm also using Android Messages.

20. Nuno J

Nuno J New Member

I also have this problem... I see the messages arriving on laptop but then I cannot find them on the smartphone...