Run Any Task From Any AutoApp

Learn how any AutoApp can easily run an existing Tasker task

1. joaomgcd
    If you already have a bunch of Tasker tasks on your device it would be nice if you could easily run them from any AutoApp. Well, now you can ;)

STEP 1 - CREATE PROFILE

• Create a new profile with the AutoApps Event condition
    (i) The AutoApps condition will trigger when an AutoApps command is sent from any AutoApp that sends commands.
    • Set the Command Filter to task=:=
    (i) This will make this profile trigger whenever any AutoApp sends a command that includes the text task=:=
    • Accept the settings and create a new entry task

STEP 2 - CREATE TEST VARIABLE

• Add a new Variable Set action and set %aacomm to any existing Task name. In this case I already have a task called bip which repeatedly makes a beep sound
    (i) %aacomm will contain whatever is on the right of task=:=. In this case we're going to make that the task name. More info about the AutoApps Command System here.
    (i) This is just a test variable that you will not use when the profile runs for real. It's just there to make testing easier.

STEP 3 - LIST TASKS

• Add a new Test Tasker action
    • Under Type select Tasks
    • Store Result In a variable named %tasks
    (i) This will create an array called %tasks which will contain all your existing Tasker Tasks' names

STEP 4 - FLASH TASKS

• Add a Flash action
    • Set Text to %tasks()
    • Run the Task
    (i) You will see a flash containing all your Tasks' names

STEP 5 - GET CASE INSENSITIVE MATCH

• Add an AutoTools Text action
    • Set Text to %tasks()
    • In the Matching section, set Match Text to %aacomm
    • Enable the Case Insensitive option
    (i) This will make AutoTools search all your task names (%tasks()) for the text contained in %aacomm (which is the intended Task name) in a case insensitive manner.
    • Go back to Tasker

STEP 6 - TEST CASE INSENSITIVE MATCH

• Add a Flash action
    • Set the Text to %atmatchedtexts(1)
    • Run the task
    (i) You should now see a flash with the correct task name. Notice how in the video I used the name bip (lowercase), but Bip (uppercase) was correctly found. This makes it easier for you not to have to remember the exact casing of tasks when calling them from an AutoApp

STEP 7 - PERFORM TASK

• Add a Perform Task action
    • Set Name to %atmatchedtexts(1)
    (i) This will finally perform the task with the name that was set on the right of the task=:= command

/!\ If you don't have AutoTools and don't mind not having the Case Insensitive functionality you can simply use %aacomm in the Perform Task action

STEP 8 - TEST TASK

If you now run the task you'll see that your task will be ran. If you change the test %aacomm variable to a task name that doesn't exist you'll see an error.

STEP 9 - DISABLE %AACOMM

Don't forget to disable the first step of the Task or else the same bip task will run.
    Also, back out of Tasker so that this new profile is saved and ready to run.

STEP 10 - TEST FROM AUTONOTIFICATION

If you now create an AutoNotification and set the on click action to task=:=bip you'll see that the Bip task will run

STEP 11 - TEST FROM AUTOREMOTE

If you go to your personal AutoRemote URL and send the task=:=bip command you'll see that the Bip task will run as well

You can now send the task=:=bip command from any AutoApp (like AutoWear, AutoTools, etc) and the Bip task will always run :)

Change bip to any other task name and that task will run instead! :cool:

Recent Reviews

1. Erik Quispe
    Erik Quispe
    5/5,
    Useful information
  2. KJ17
    KJ17
    5/5,
    It's very helpful
  3. JameyC
    JameyC
    5/5,
    One of the most useful all-around profiles, first thing I set up on any device.