AutoLocation Android Pie has caused issues with Geofence Monitoring

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by jir591, Sep 19, 2018.

1. jir591

jir591 New Member

I've been using Autolocation to trigger certain routines with Smartthings. All has worked well when my phone was running Android Oreo. Since I upgraded my Pixel 2 to Android Pie Geofence Monitoring has been very slow (as in 5 minutes or more) to recognize that I entered a geofence boundary. I turned off any and all battery optimizations possible on the phone. But with no improvment. Other users of Smarttings who are using this same setup are experiencing the same delay. The only temporary solution was to create a profile which turned on Location Monitoring when my phone connects to my car with an update interval of 15 seconds and an update type of balanced. With those settings when I enter my outer geofence boundary it gets recognized quickly. Otherwise its 5 minutes or more after entering the boundary.

Any idea why this is happening?

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

This may be related to Android Pie's Location Limits unfortunately. Since Geofences monitoring is controlled by the system, they get to decide how often to check them, and I'm guessing that they now check less frequently.

The workaround would be what you did: manually turn on location monitoring... Sorry, wish I could help :(

3. mattress

mattress New Member

Has there been any changes to this? I've resorted to using Cell Near to then turn on Location Monitoring, but it's not a very good workaround.

4. joaomgcd

Unfortunately no. Until Google allow a workaround, I don't think we can do anything about it :(

5. mattress

mattress New Member

Have you had a chance to look at Android Q to see if any fixes might be coming?

6. joaomgcd

I don't think there are. If anything they are becoming more and more strict.

7. mattress

mattress New Member

So in the meantime I'm using Cell Near to start the location monitor. However it doesn't seem to be reacting quickly enough. Is there some monitor setting that I can increase somewhere to improve reaction time?

8. joaomgcd

You can enable the AutoLocation Location monitor and in the main AutoLocation app enable the option under advanced to let the location monitor help the geofence monitor.

9. mattress

mattress New Member

I've done that already.

10. joaomgcd

Did you enable the location monitor with a small update interval?

11. mattress

mattress New Member

What's a good setting for that?

12. joaomgcd

It depends on what you want. But I'd try with 3 seconds to start off for example.

mattress likes this.
  13. mattress

mattress New Member

Just wondering if there's anything that can be done now that 10 has been out for a couple of months. I'm using AutoLocation for presence associated with my smart home and it just doesn't seem like its updating quickly enough. I see the Location Monitoring running, but it sometimes takes minutes to register that its inside a geofence (long after I'm in my home).

In previous Android versions, I knew the specific street sign in my neighborhood where it would react.

14. joaomgcd

Unfortunately I can't change how the built-in geofences work, but what you can do is use the location monitor whenever you think you're getting close (like a really big geofence around your house) and then enable the option for the location monitor to help the geofence monitor in AutoLocation > Advanced.

Hope this helps!

15. mattress

mattress New Member

That's sorta what I am doing by logging cells near my house. When Tasker sees one of those cells, it turns on location monitoring. Since using geofences to turn on location monitoring doesn't work at all anymore, I'm not sure what else to do. If you have any ideas, that would be awesome!

16. joaomgcd

But did you enable the option for the location monitor to help the geofence monitor in AutoLocation > Advanced?

17. mattress

mattress New Member

18. joaomgcd

And you enabled both the Location Monitor and the Geofence Monitor when near those cells?

19. mattress

mattress New Member

20. joaomgcd

Can you let me know what settings you set the Location Monitor to?