AutoLocation AutoLocation activity monitoring (Driving) not working as expected.

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by arzoo, May 6, 2015.

1. arzoo

arzoo New Member

Hi, I’m new to AutoLocation and I’m having a problem getting the activity monitoring (Driving) to work. Here’s what I’m trying to achieve – when I place my phone in the wireless charging dock in my car, I want the CarMode app to start – pretty simple. For reference, I’m currently not using any Bluetooth device in the car.

I created two profiles in Tasker;

The first profile activates when wireless charging is detected. The associated task turns on AutoLocation Activity Monitoring (5 sec intervals) to detect Driving and ignore Tilting and Unknown. The exit task for the profile turns off Activity Monitoring. So when the phone is wirelessly charging the activity monitor is checking for a Driving state. That all works fine.

The second profile activates when wireless charging is detected and activity monitoring detects ‘Driving’. The associated task launches the CarMode and turns off Activity Monitoring (which is no longer needed). This profile also works fine.

The problem occurs when I put my phone on the wireless charger in the house – for some reason the driving profile goes active and launches the CarMode app. This doesn’t make sense since the activity monitor should not detect a Driving state. I’ve checked the AutoLocation logs and they confirm that the phone activity is ‘Still’. I’ll also mention that this false driving condition does not always occur.

I’m wondering if the problem has to do with how AutoLocation stores the current monitoring state (%alactivity) – does the last set value remain (even after monitoring is turned off)? If this is the case then that might be my problem; since I turn off activity monitoring right after detecting ‘Driving’ then the %alactivity would retain the Driving value (0). But %alactivity is a local variable – right? Does Tasker use this variable to determine if the AutoLocation state in a profile is active? I’m really confused.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

So "Driving" never even appears in the log? Can you please export your tasker profile (description, not xml) so I can take a look? thanks

3. arzoo

arzoo New Member

I don't think 'Driving' ever appeared in the log but I'll have to check again. Here's the profile descriptions.

This profile seems to work as expected:
    Profile: Enable Driving MDX When Charging (17)
    State: Power [ Source:Wireless ]
    Enter: Activity Monitoring - Start (15)
    A1: AutoLocation Activities [ Configuration:Starting Activity Monitor
    Report Interval: 5 seconds Package:com.joaomgcd.autolocation Name:AutoLocation Activities Timeout (Seconds):0 ]

Exit: Activity Monitoring - Stop (16)
    A1: AutoLocation Activities [ Configuration:Stopping Activity Monitor
    Report Interval: null seconds Package:com.joaomgcd.autolocation Name:AutoLocation Activities Timeout (Seconds):0 ]

This is is the profile that fires when placing the phone on the charger regardless of the activity state:
    Profile: Driving MDX (14)
    State: Power [ Source:Wireless ]
    State: AutoLocation Activities [ Configuration:In Vehicle: true
    Ignore Tilting: true
    Ignore Unknown: true ]
    Enter: Launch Car Mode (12)
    A1: Launch App [ App:Car mode Data: Exclude From Recent Apps:On ]
    A2: AutoLocation Activities [ Configuration:Stopping Activity Monitor
    Report Interval: null seconds Package:com.joaomgcd.autolocation Name:AutoLocation Activities Timeout (Seconds):0 ]
    A3: BT Voice Volume [ Level:15 Display:Off Sound:Off ]

Here's what seems to happen; I dock the phone in the car and drive. Both profiles go active and the driving app starts as expected. When I get home and place the phone on the charger the driving app starts immediately. If I look at Tasker - both profiles are green. Eventually something seems to reset the Driving MDX profile (14) and it goes into a disabled state.

I'm wondering if the problem is caused because I'm disabling the activity monitor as soon as driving activity is detected (A2 in profile 14)?

Thanks for the help!

4. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

It would really help if you could post the logs of when you get home and the app starts :) That way we can check if it really detected driving or if something else is going on. Thanks!

5. MintDarker

MintDarker New Member

Hi, is this problem solve? I face the similar problem too. It appears that if you turn off the activity monitor while driving, the vehicle state will stay there until you turn on and update the activity monitor again. This is why it trigger any profile with vehicle=true even when you are not driving.

Is there anyway to reset the activity monitor to default? or can we set a task to force the activity monitor to state the that we want?