Solved Can't send files from Chrome unless Developer Tools window is open

Discussion in 'Join' started by Martin!, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Martin!

Martin! New Member

I've been trying a billion times to send a file from Chrome to my phone, but nothing seemed to work. I didn't even get an "Uploading..." notification. While troubleshooting I right clicked the Join popup menu in Chrome and selected "Inspect", to see if anything happened in the Console. To my surprise sending files suddenly worked, and I thought the problem had solved itself and closed the Developer Tools window. But then it immediately stopped working again.

I've tried sending about 10 files now, both with the Developer Tools window open and closed, and not a single file upload works without the window open, while every single upload works while the window is kept open.

I'm running the latest Join Chrome extension on Chrome 56.0 on Ubuntu, and the latest Android app (not beta) on my phone.

I'm sending the files by using the "Send a file to your device" menu, since drag-and-drop does not seem to work (the Join popup menu closes as soon as Chrome loses focus, meaning I have nowhere to drop my file). I don't know if it makes a difference, but while the Developer Tools window is open, the Join popup stays open as well while I'm choosing my file in the file selection dialog. Without the Developer Tools window, the Join popup closes as soon as the file selection dialog opens.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi there, that's a very strange error! Never saw that before! Can you try doing this:
    - open Join popout either by using the pop-out button in the top bar or using the keyboard shortcut to do so
    - drag and drop a file on to the commands zone

THanks in advance!

3. Martin!

Martin! New Member

Using the popout window works as it should! At least that's a better workaround than having to use the developer tools window every time :)

4. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Glad that works at least :) thanks. Must be something specific to the ubuntu version of chrome is my guess.

5. amc6010

amc6010 New Member

I can back this one up (using Chromium 56 on Linux Mint). Some actions work just fine (sending a tab, ringing my device) but others just refuse to work (e.g. sending a file). Popping it out into a separate window makes it work.

I don't encounter the same issue when Join is running on my Chromebook or on Android either.

: send file, chrome