AutoWear Launch watch app with floating icon

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by GV Black, Feb 5, 2017.

1. GV Black

GV Black New Member

Total Auto Wear Noobie here.
    I would like to launch a non system app on my watch by tapping a floating icon on my watch face.
    Can you provide a step by step tutorial for doing this?
    Thanks.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

3. GV Black

GV Black New Member

Thanks joao. I followed the tutorial and did indeed get the five second timer to work. However, I would like to start a non system app.
    I use an app named xDrip to track my continuous blood glucose transmitter. The app has a subroutine that is listed in the watch app drawer as "Spoken Treatment". I would like to place a floating icon on my xDrip watch face so that when I tap it the Spoken Treatment routine starts and I can speak insulin and carbs.
    Replacing all instances of "Timer 5 seconds" with "Spoken Treatment" in auto wear results in nothing happening when I tap on the floating icon.
    What am I missing here?

4. GV Black

GV Black New Member

Ok. So I figured out how to launch an app with the floating icon. Only took me two days :)
    The problem now is the particular app I would like to launch. The app name in the app drawer does not work, and because it is a subroutine for the app on my phone there is really no way to determine the package name that is associated with the app on the watch.
    I have a suggestion: why can't you populate a list of installed watch apps and present it for us to pick which app to launch? This would be much easier and cleaner. It's done for system apps, why not do it for installed watch apps?
    Thanks.

5. joaomgcd

The package name is the same as the app on your phone :) It always works like that. But yeah, I'll add your request to my todo list, thanks!

6. GV Black

GV Black New Member

Yes, I figured that. The problem is that the subroutine I want to call is not a separate app on the phone, but it is listed as an app in the watch's app drawer. I even looked at shortcuts and activities via Nova Launcher on my phone and this subroutine is not listed.
    I installed Wear Mini Launcher on my watch and I was able to set this subroutine app as a favorite in the app drawer, a procedure that was accomplished on the phone. Makes it more convenient, but not as perfect if I could call it from a floating icon.
    Thanks!

7. capstan

capstan Member

I know, quite old, but is there a chance we will get a list of non System apps installed on the watch?

8. joaomgcd

I still want to do that, but it's hard to justify the extra development time :) It's still on my todo list though.