AutoRemote Little clearing up on various ways to use autoremote...

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by Pete_Repeat, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Pete_Repeat

Pete_Repeat Member

Initially I wil talk about how I have been using auto remote, and also the bold text which is more the question that I would like feedback on if possible. I am talkig out loud, as up until now I haven't thought into detail in how autoremote has been working for me.

1)

At the moment i use IFTTT to get my google home assistants to talk to Tasker.

So I use a recipe that does a webhook to an address that is really long.... (I think I set up IFTTT in the autoremote app on my android server and that provided the address... I think. Can't really remember). But the webhook does a get request of the json type to https://autoremotejoaomgcd.appspot.com/sendmessage?key=reallyLongKeyThinkWasGivenInAutoremote&sender=reallyDoesntMatterForMeAsDontCareWhereItCameFrom&message=ImportantKeyTriggerMessage

So I think this makes IFTTT to do a get request to the autoremote server.

Then autoremote server sends the message in the address to my autoremote app on my android box, which is defined by the key in the address, and labelled as from the sender in the address.

Then tasker deals with that message by the filter I put in the tasker script.

2) I have been using automremote and tasker on my android phones, tablets, android boxes etc to send and recieve message through tasker and act accordingly. All devices are setup in the autoremote app, with the bluetooth turned on in hope that it makes the messages get sent faster particularly for the devices that stay put at home. I assume this is the best way to send messages between devices when they are all Android devices and also when they are a mix of devices that stay at home and ones that roam outside the local network.

3)

Now if I am using an ESP8266 (NodeMCU) on the same local network to my android automation box, who's code is written in Arduino IDE, then all I have to do is go the http site "http://localIP:1817/?message=ImportantKeyTriggerMessage I need to ensure AutoRemote Wifi service is turned on in Tasker for this to work.

This seems way to simple and feel I am missing something. This device will stay on the local network and so will the device it talks to.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the input. However I think you failed to mention what exactly you weren't able to do :) What part isn't working?

3. Pete_Repeat

Pete_Repeat Member

Was just putting it here in case there was a better way for 1 & 2.

But the one that I have yet to try is number 3 which is connecting my esp8266 to tasker which i think I can do like I wrote. But not sure until I get a chance to test tit out. Was hoping for some confirmation that is a good way to talk between am esp8266 (or arduino) to autoremote on a local network... Or whether there was a better way.

I got this from the FAQ but there wasn't great detail on it... Although I don't think there is much more to it is there? Ports don't need to be opened or assigned to Ip's if its a local IP address huh?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  4. joaomgcd

Yeah, I think that should work :)

Pete_Repeat likes this.
  5. Pete_Repeat

Pete_Repeat Member

I had a quixk check and couldn't get the notification showing on the automation box. I know the ip was right so something else is not right in my code

I'm assuming you're not too familiar with arduino ide so uploading my code is probably better on the arduino forum.. Just they might not be familiar with autoremote

6. joaomgcd

Can you get the notification to show up if you call the URL from another device on your network? Like your phone or another PC?

7. Pete_Repeat

Pete_Repeat Member

Got it working. Turned out that the device was having problems connecting to my wifi so didn't have internet

8. Pete_Repeat

Pete_Repeat Member

Only thing I found that was wrong was my message was cut off when I space was used. No problems in ifttt with spaces