Open Messages being deleted on mobile device as they are received

Discussion in 'Join' started by Aephir, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Aephir

Aephir New Member

Hi,
    This is really odd, and I have no clue what's going on. But after uninstalling and re-installing loads of different apps, and revoking/giving permissions (different apps that have access to SMS), the only common denominator I could see is Join.

When I have Join installed, I don't receive SMS messages. Well, sometimes I do, but often I will not. To be precise, I think I do receive them, since if I have my computer open, I get a notification about it, and can briefly read it in the browser addon. But I get no notification on my mobile device, and they do not appear when opening my messaging app. Further, they quickly disappear from the Join chrome extension as well, as it updates.

As i said, I have tried change SMS permissions or uninstall many different apps, including {google Duo; Email; Future Message; Gboard; IFTTT; Android Messages; Stock Messenger App, S Voice, Signal, Tasker}. I can't say for sure it's Join, but I think I have done a fairly comprehensive troubleshooting, and this is my best guess.

I did see your link about the android messenger in a different thread, and manually updated that (sorry, can't seem to find the thread). So I don't think it is related to that.

I am on a Galaxy S7 edge, Android 7.0 (security patch leve August 1st, 2017).

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see this thread before posting. Seems like the same issue, though as of writing unresolved. It also seems like it could be related to this issue.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the report. Can you reliably make this happen? Maybe does it happen with always the same people? Join can't delete the messages itself (Please check here) but it's true some people have been experiencing this... Maybe a bug in Android itself when multiple apps handle the SMS message?

3. Aephir

Aephir New Member

There could be something about certain people. But it is not 100% reliable (or; I guess, 100% unreliable). Mostly, I've noticed missing texts from my girlfriend, but I have also noticed texts from colleagues and other friends missing. Though this is likely just because my girlfriend complains when I see her that I haven't replied. But sometimes, like 5 seconds ago, when I asked her to send me a test SMS, they do come through.

Since it is not 100% unreliable, it's difficult to test whether it is only when using a specific messaging app. It certainly happens sometimes when using "android messenger"; I will revoke SMS permissions for "android messenger" and use the stock app for the rest of the day, and tomorrow, and try testing some more. If you say that only the "default SMS" app can delete, then... Well, I don't know. All I know is that after uninstalling join, I haven't missed any texts (that I know of, but with join installed it would be several texts each day).

For me, this started around late september (first time I noticed was september 29th), if that helps? And thanks for all your work! I have really enjoyed using your apps, despite this weird stuff. And while this is really annoying, I don't regret buying you apps!

4. joaomgcd

I've had a different user say that if you clear cache and data on your messaging app that it fixes the issue. Can you please try that? Thanks!

5. Aephir

Aephir New Member

No such luck.

So far it does seem to be either restricted, or at least more pronounced with "android messages"; I have been using the stock (Samsung) sms app for some time with Join installed, and haven't noticed missing anything. But clearing data, I still didn't receive SMS with android messages as default SMS app.

I have left a review/comment about this at the Android messages Google play site.

Thanks.

6. joaomgcd

Thank you!

: join, sms