AutoTools Modify Secure Settings with Screen Off

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by jrubes, Oct 9, 2017.

1. jrubes

jrubes New Member

Hello,
    Is AutoTools incapable of modifying Secure Settings on an automated basis if the screen is off and locked? I have some Tasker tasks set to automatically enable the screen saver (Daydream) when I connect to my cars Bluetooth, and to disable it when it disconnects. The tasks work perfectly when triggered manually via Tasker, and also work when the phone display is already on and at the home screen. The tasks are set to launch Pandora, press play, and then enable daydream, then disable daydream when disconnected. The Pandora portion works just fine with screen off, just not the AutoTools.
    Currently the task is:

Setting Type: Secure
    Name: screensaver_enabled
    Input Type: Int
    Value: 1
    Again, this works just fine when triggered manually, just not automatically based on my triggers. If there is a way to overcome this, it would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps if I need to grant some other permissions?

This is on a US Samsung Galaxy S8 (VZW) non-root with all latest updates and patches.

Thank you very much!

-John

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi there. There should be no issues doing that... do you maybe have some kind of Samsung specific doze mode enabled for the app which causes this behavior? On my devices it works well even when the screen is off...

3. jrubes

jrubes New Member

Thanks for the reply! That's a very good point, I hadn't considered Doze putting it to sleep. I just set an exception for all of the AutoApps to see if that helps. I'll have to test it in the morning. That's good to know that there shouldn't be any restriction to it working with the screen off.

Just to clarify, I reread my original post and don't know if it came across specific enough, so I'll just restate what I'm trying to accomplish. With my phone in my pocket and it connects to the cars bluetooth, music is supposed to play (that part works) and daydream is supposed to be enabled using AutoTools to set the variable. With the phone in pocket and screen off and locked, only the music works, the variable never gets set. If the screen is on and phone unlocked when the bluetooth connects, music plays and the variable gets set. So that's what led me to believe the AutoTools app maybe didn't have proper permissions to alter system settings behind a locked device, and was afraid root would be required.

I'll see if disabling AutoTools (and the rest of the AutoApps suite) from going into power save mode makes any difference.

Thanks again very much for the reply!

4. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hope it works! :)

: autotools