AutoRemote Move to new Phone

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by RichardU, Jul 13, 2018.

1. RichardU

RichardU Member

I got rid of my old phone and am trying to give my new phone the same URL. Backup/Restore hasn't worked. It would be nice to have a simple walkthrough somewhere. I'm sure this happens all the time.

I looked at your FAQ (shown below). Everything is good until the end "Recover from dropbox". I'm not even sure what that means. Do you mean restore? How? Where? I can put the file wherever it needs to be on my phone. Where do I put it and what do I do then?

Thanks, Richard

I changed ROM/device but never backed up my personal URL. Can I restore it somehow?
    Fortunately, you can do this:
    • Navigate to your short url (goo.gl/xxxxx). Get this URL from another device you may have, or from your chrome extension, or from your browsing history on your browser, for example.
    • Get your personal key as described here: http://joaoapps.com/autoremote/personal/
    • Copy your personal key to a file on your dropbox in the folder Apps/AutoRemote/AndroidSettings and name the file whatever you like.
    • On your device, set your device name in the settings to whatever name you gave the file
    • Recover from dropbox.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

You can put the key in a file on your phone and then recover from there with the option in AutoRemote Settings to restore from local file.

Hope this helps!

3. RichardU

RichardU Member

Sorry, this doesn't help. My file is named: bob. My device name is bob. I copied the file to /downloads on my phone. When I click on Restore it says "No backup file for bob was found."

Where does the file go? Does it need an extension?

4. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Try using the option under Advanced -> Deprecated -> Local