Open No longer able to sign in

Discussion in 'Join' started by Synder, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Synder

Synder New Member

Earlier today join stopped working on my phone (Essential PH1). Unfortunately I do not remember the exact message, but it was something to the effect of "device not recognized". After trying a few things, I decided to just reinstall the app. Unfortunately, clicking on the "Sign in with Google" button only results in the message "Couldn't sign in. Do you have a valid network connection?"

I have since:
    Confirmed that my wifi is working fine
    Attempt to sign in over cellular data with wifi off
    Switch to the non-beta version of join
    Sign up for the google play services beta and attempt signing in with that version
    Various reinstall and phone restarts between these steps.

Any ideas for what could be causing this?

2. Synder

Synder New Member

Bump, didn't realize how often I used this until it's gone

I've installed a couple of other apps which use "sign in with google" this past week. They all work without issue, which makes me think it's something more specific to join.
    I also reinstalled it on my previous phone, and that works fine.

3. Synder

Synder New Member

Don't know if this is the actual cause, but I've fixed this issue now.

After an update to Gmail, it started crashing on open. Clearing cache, uninstalling updates + reinstalling, etc. didn't have any effect.
    Searched around a bit and found a suggestion from years ago that there could be a problem with the webview - i.e. chrome on Android 7+.
    Uninstalled chrome, reinstalled, and gmail worked again...and also join.

Not sure how or why those two could be related, nor how my month out of date chrome install could cause such significant problems. Ultimately I'm just glad to have everything working again.

: join, help, android