AutoTools notification bar not being updated

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by OhmEye, Apr 4, 2017.

1. OhmEye

OhmEye New Member

I've been looking for a way to toggle airplane mode based on my wifi connection status, autotools seems to be doing it... at least I see the airplane mode icon in the pull-down bar shows the intended state. However, when I turn airplane mode on/off using autotools, the notification bar icons do not change. If airplane mode is on and autotools turns it off, the icon in the collapsed bar continues to display the airplane icon and doesn't switch to the 4G icon. But if I pull down the bar, the airplane mode icon is off. So, the icons don't match, the expanded bar says airplane mode is off but the collapsed bar says it's on.
    Background: I have very marginal cell service in my house, enough to make and receive calls, but not reliably, I miss some calls and people have trouble hearing me with dropped or garbled audio. So I enable airplane mode while at home to force wifi calling since calls over my wifi connection are solid. I've been using tasker to play an alert to remind me to enable airplane mode when I am connected to my home wifi, and disable it so I use cell service when I am not connected to my home wifi.
    I want to have tasker not only remind me, but to toggle airplane mode itself so I don't forget if I don't hear the reminder (has happened more than once.)
    I need to test that autotools is in fact toggling airplane mode and not just the icon, but I suspect it really is and that it's just a notification bar update that isn't happening since it's outside of the UI method.
    Also, I used a temporary tasker action to remove wifi from the list of radios for airplane mode, so now when I toggle wifi either via autotools or from the normal UI it no longer turns off wifi when airplane mode is enabled, eliminating the step to turn wifi back on after enabling airplane mode.
    So, is there a way to make the notification bar update or show the true state of airplane mode when autotools changes it?

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately without root you probably won't be able to really change it. It only changes the icon, but doesn't really change anything in the background.
    If you have root you'll be able to do it.
    Sorry!

3. OhmEye

OhmEye New Member

I see, rats. Rooting is not really an option these days for somebody who uses modern secure features. For example, rooting will disable most digital wallets and services such as Samsung Pay.
    I'm baffled why android considers turning the radios on/off a root feature, or why there is no way to default to wifi calling when wifi or a specific SSID is connected. It works so nicely but requires the cell radios to be off or without service to be used. Ah well, I'll just keep toggling it manually since root is not an option for me. I don't even know if rooting nougat on an S7 Edge is possible. :)
    Thanks again!