Scan for connected devices in same Wifi

Discussion in 'App/Feature Suggestion' started by capstan, Jan 22, 2018.

1. capstan

capstan Member

Hi,

a great feature would be getting a list of connected devices (IP/Mac) within the same Wifi as the phone.

Apps like "Fing" can display this information, so it should be possible without root. Sadly I didn't find an app that can send this information to tasker.

Why I want this:
    I want to make a task to turn off all lights, when nobody is at home. I could do this via geofencing with the Hue app, but it draines a lot of battery on the older iPhone of my gf. (Also no Tasker on her phone to send a message if she disconnects from home Wifi)

Do what I want to do is: have an old Huawei P7 scanning the network every x minutes and if none of the two phones (MAC-Adresses) is connected, turn off the lights. (This also would turn them off at night)

So any possibility of adding this to one of the apps?

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Can you please let me know how long it takes Fing to find other devices on your network in average? thanks!

3. capstan

capstan Member

around 3 sec to get all devices, around 10 to get the names, too.

But when trying this I just noticed that the iPhone disconnects from wifi everytime the screen goes off; googling says that there's no way of changing this on iOS.
    I really hate, she's using this "we know best what you need and won't give you a choice"-OS. (It's my third idea on how to track the home state that's not working because of iOS)

So maybe it's nice for others I imagine, but probably I won't be able to use it....

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  4. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

I see. Thanks for the feedback.

: wifi, devices, mac, Tasker