AutoInput Set reminder with standard android pop-up date and/or time (clock) selector?

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by Cole M., Nov 2, 2017.

1. Cole M.

Cole M. New Member

Maybe some of you geniuses here can help me achieve the following:
    I have a specific note app in which I can also set a reminder should I want to. I can do everything with my voice using Tasker, AutoVoice and AutoInput to actually create the note - up to the point where I am supposed to select a date and/or time for a reminder.
    The problem: the standard Android UI (starting with Marshmallow, if I'm right) for selecting a date is an overlay monthly calendar. For the time it's an overlay analog clock with a digital on top. At least this is what I am being presented with since MM using this App (and others). And that doesn't seem to have any screen-readable data to hook into.

I am at a loss how I could use the AV Recognize value (%avcomm; for instance "Thursday 12 October") on said overlays? Even if I were to use Variable Split, Convert etc to get the values in a system-useable (time/date) form: this particular value needs to go only into that specific app's reminder. It's not an alarm, it's not an "all of Android" value, or the likes. Of course, it would be totally awesome if I could also say "tomorrow" and then it would know that it's the 13th... but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Any idea how I can achieve what I'm trying to do? I hope my issue is clear.

By the way, I have tried AutoVoice Natural Language and the project (can't post the link) but this is not what I want as I want to use my note app and its reminder function.
    (I have also posted this in the Tasker Forum where it was recommended to post this here as well)

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

if you try to select a fixed date with AutoInput does it work? For example, let's say you want to select the 15th. Does that work for you? Just with AutoInput and not doing anything with AutoVoice to start... Thanks!

3. Cole M.

Cole M. New Member

I'm not sure what you want me to try. I can certainly set a fixed number by e.g. doing a "Set Clipboard" with "15" and then an AutoInput action paste - but: paste where?
    I tried to query the screen and I get nothing returned. It's like the calendar overlay that I can see on the screen doesn't exist. Now, if I set a pointer location that matches the "15" on that screen then the AutoInput - pointing to these coordinates - works, meaning it highlights the "15". But that approach is obviously not a feasible one as it means that I would have to set fixed points for every day, not to mention trying to get the month and time to work (and then comes a phone change with the pointer locations no longer being the same...).
    I probably misunderstood what you are asking from me.

4. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

What I meant was, try using an AutoInput action to click on something with the type of input "Text" and then with the text "15" and see if that works :) Kinda like you did with the point, but using text instead.

5. Cole M.

Cole M. New Member

Ok, I think I now understand what you want. Here's what I tried so far:
    1) AI type is set to "Text", the action to "Select text" and the value "15". This gives me an accessibility service error - kind of makes sense as there is no text to select (and yes, accessibility is on for AI or otherwise I wouldn't even get that far ;-) )
    2) AI type "Text", action "click" and value "15": this selects the 8th from the calendar view of 30 days (in November). If I set the value to 22 or 30 it still selects 8. If I set the value to 1 or 2 it selects the year in the top left corner of the calendar overlay, opening up the year selector with 2017 being highlighted. The highlighted day of the month when the overlay pops up is always the 2nd (today).
    3) AI type "List value", action "click", value "15": nothing happens/ time out error. Same for type "Id".
    4) I didn't try type "focus", and for "point" see the other post

6. Cole M.

Cole M. New Member

I did some more testing. It seems to be a limitation of AutoInput and not specifically related to my note app as the standard Google calendar app has the exact same calendar pop-up and time selector. So it's a system thing (I'm running Android 7.1.2). AutoInput somehow cannot properly access what the screen shows. A UI Query via AI also doesn't return anything related to that calendar overlay.
    If this is indeed an AI limitation: is there any way this could be "fixed"/implemented into AutoInput? ;);-)

I also tried to think of another way of getting the AV recognized values into my note app without using AutoInput. The only way I can see - having read a bunch of stuff - is to convert the input of e.g. "15 November 2017" into a global Tasker variable (nasty enough to get that to work) and then passing that variable via an Android intent into the app for it to set the reminder therein. The latter will apparently be the showstopper since I couldn't find any intents for my particular app related to a reminder.
    In addition, the "simple process" of converting an %avcomm content of "15 November 2017" into a format that conforms with %TIMES is a nightmare. I found some projects using java scriplets but they produce no result, not even when testing without AV. I'm sure somebody got a task for that but I couldn't find (a working) one. :(