Solved SMS messages greater than 160 characters splitting on Project Fi

Discussion in 'Join' started by Pickles911, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Pickles911

Pickles911 New Member

Hello,
    I am encountering an issue when I use the chrome extension to reply to sms messages. What is happening is when I reply, long sms messages (Greater than 160 characters / 1 full SMS message) are getting split when going out.
    I am using Project Fi, and I believe that this is a known issue of Project Fi as they strictly enforce the SMS behavior since they use multiple networks. Most carriers automatically convert it to MMS or allow the long message but with Fi, it doesn't.
    I do use the application Textra for SMS/MMS and have the application to send MMS instead of SMS on any messages that are greater than 160 characters / 1 SMS message and that works great.
    So to get down to it, does Join use the actual SMS/MMS application to send the messages out, or does it the system to send it out? If it is using the application, then I assume something isn't behaving properly. If it is using the system level to send out the message then I think it is working as intended and just an issue with Project Fi.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Yes, it's using the system to send out the message. What you can do is long click the send icon in Chrome and set any subject. That will force it to send it as an MMS :)

Hope this helps!

Pickles911 likes this.
  3. Pickles911

Pickles911 New Member

Thank you very much for that!

: SMS, MMS, Project Fi