Solved Windows 10 Chrome Extension can't receive pushes

Discussion in 'Join' started by skeeterfood, Dec 30, 2015.

1. skeeterfood

skeeterfood New Member

Mod Edit: Here's the fix from the end of this thread: "Well I got things working by uninstalling Chrome, deleting its AppData folder, and reinstalling. Totally Chrome's fault, I guess."
    Also, check here for other possible fixes.

Hi,

My Nexus 5 phone passes all the tests when connected to my home WiFi, but when I go into the Chrome extension's options on my Windows 10 laptop connected to the same WiFi it fails as shown:
    [​IMG]Getting account details... Success: Signed in with xxxx@gmail.com
    [​IMG]Testing registration on Join's server... Success: deviceId already existed. Updated existing device.
    [​IMG]Sending Push to server... Success!
    [​IMG]Receiving Push from server... Didn't receive push after 5 seconds: Are you behind a firewall? Maybe Google Cloud Messaging ports are blocked? More info here (search for 'ports to open')
    [​IMG]Receiving Push with GCM key... Didn't receive push after 5 seconds: Are you behind a firewall? Maybe Google Cloud Messaging ports are blocked? More info here (search for 'ports to open')
    [​IMG]Comparing GCM keys... Success!
    [​IMG]Testing popups... Success!

Any ideas? I tried turning off Windows Firewall on the laptop, but that had no effect.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2016
    Lavenir likes this.
  2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Do you maybe have any other software that might be blocking the GCM ports on your PC? Do you use AutoRemote by any chance?

Lavenir likes this.
  3. someonesim

someonesim New Member

I have the same problem. It was working on previous version, latest Chrome extension update ( that causing re-login to Chrome on all computers ) seems to broke it.
    Tried to send photo from phone ( Nexus 6P ) to computer. From computer, Chrome opened a new tab, but that's it. No photo or link.

Could Joao revert back Chrome extension update ?

Lavenir likes this.
  4. joaomgcd

No, but I can fix it :) And that is not the same problem, because you are getting the push, the file is just not being opened. Fixed for next release.

Lavenir likes this.
  5. skeeterfood

skeeterfood New Member

I'm also having the same problem on my Chromebook, so I don't think it's any PC software. Maybe an incompatible Chrome extension?
    Here's what I have installed:
    Enabled:
    ADB for Chrome 1.0.1.5
    Add to Amazon Wish List 1.0.0.10
    Authy 1.3
    Authy Chrome Extension 1.0.2
    Chrome Remote Desktop 47.0.2526.28
    crouton integration 2.5.1
    Ebates Cash Back 4.3.2.2
    Google Docs 0.9
    Google Docs Offline 1.1
    Google Hangouts 2015.1216.418.1
    Google Keep - notes and lists 3.1.15511.1147
    Google Play Music 1.300.1
    Google Sheets 1.1
    Google Slides 0.9
    Join 0.0.19
    LastPass: Free Password Manager 3.2.41
    Music Bubbles 1.6.1
    Pocket 0.810
    Polarr Photo Editor 3 3.2.1
    PriceBlink 4.4
    Save to Pocket 1.9.22
    Slickdeals Price Tracker 0.0.3
    Smile Always 0.88
    Sunrise Calendar 1.7.104
    Text 0.5.68
    The Camelizer 2.8.0
    TickTick - Todo & Task List 1.0.2
    TickTick - Todo & Task List 1.3.5
    Tidepool Uploader 0.239.0
    uBlock Origin 1.5.2
    Wallaby 1.0.7

Disabled:
    ARC Welder 47.5021.508.11
    File System for Dropbox 1.1.8
    File System for OneDrive 1.0.4
    File System for Windows 2.6.3
    Gliffy Diagrams 1.0.29
    Google Cast 15.1120.0.2
    Google Hangouts 2015.1204.418.1
    Pushbullet

I've tried disabling everything but Join with no change...

Lavenir likes this.
  6. joaomgcd

Can you please try this:
    - go into Chrome
    - settings
    - extensions
    - enable developer mode
    - click on join.html
    - go to the console tab
    - send a message to chrome
    - see if anything appears there

Sorry for the trouble

7. skeeterfood

skeeterfood New Member

I tried this on my Chromebook.
    I noticed the following warning in the Console:
    We don't execute document.execCommand() this time, because it is called recursively. join.js:925

Here's a log from when I ran the Diagnostics test then sent a message from my Nexus 5 to Chrome:
    join.js:189 Posting to: https://joinjoaomgcd.appspot.com/_ah/api/registration/v1/registerDevice/
    join.js:197 POST status: 200
    join.js:805 Object {success: true, errorMessage: "deviceId already existed. Updated existing device.", userAuthError: false, deviceId: "8aeeeef66e454018b7236f64e42700a8", authorizedDrive: true…}
    join.js:189 Posting to: https://joinjoaomgcd.appspot.com/_ah/api/messaging/v1/sendPush/
    gcm.js:31 Sent push: {"success":true,"userAuthError":false,"kind":"messaging#resourcesItem","etag":"\"oFqVdZPMd_xxT7qBDKVRjB_xhNY/kEbLPa7OacXa186VhtZSP_sZ9aU\""}
    join.js:189 Posting to: https://joinjoaomgcd.appspot.com/_ah/api/messaging/v1/sendPush/
    gcm.js:31 Sent push: {"success":true,"userAuthError":false,"kind":"messaging#resourcesItem","etag":"\"oFqVdZPMd_xxT7qBDKVRjB_xhNY/kEbLPa7OacXa186VhtZSP_sZ9aU\""}
    join.js:189 Posting to: https://joinjoaomgcd.appspot.com/_a...ey/?deviceId=8aeeeef66e454018b7236f64e42700a8

I'm seeing nothing in the console about receiving pushes from the test or my Nexus 5.

Lavenir likes this.
  8. joaomgcd

It really seems that you're not able to receive messages in chrome for some reason... :/ Are you able to try the chromebook on another network by any chance?

Lavenir likes this.
  9. skeeterfood

skeeterfood New Member

Yeah, it definitely looks that way. It works fine on my work PC. I wonder what I could have set up on my Asus RT-N66 router that would be blocking it? Or it could be MediaCom, my cable provider.

10. wanderlone

wanderlone New Member

I have this exact problem on a Win 7 machine on my home network. I also have an ASUS RT-AC66U router.

My work setup works fine also.

My phone passes all the same tests on the home network.

Also this came up in a search just throwing it out there does this have anything to do with the situation? http://eladnava.com/google-cloud-messaging-extremely-unreliable/

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    Lavenir likes this.
  11. joaomgcd

I hope that the test is not broken somehow. @wanderlone are you able to push anything to your browser normally?

Lavenir likes this.
  12. skeeterfood

skeeterfood New Member

OK, here's something strange to add. One of my other PCs at home is directly connected by an Ethernet cable to my Asus RT-N66U and it passes all tests, so it's not my ISP blocking it. It seems to be a WiFi only issue. I've tried shutting off all firewalls on the RT-N66U and even putting my laptop/Chromebook as a DMZ so it should get all network traffic, but it still doesn't work.

I'll try connecting my laptop via Ethernet after work tonight and see if that works, which would narrow it down even more.

13. joaomgcd

Ok, let me know how it works then. Thanks

Lavenir likes this.
  14. wanderlone

wanderlone New Member

No I can't push anything to my browser on the home network. The only thing I can do from the browser side is access SMS. Location finding does not work either. I couldn't scrounge up an extra ethernet cable but that was my next step to try to directly connect the laptop as well.

Every setting I know of to change on my Asus router has been set to be the lest restrictive and the ports are open for GCM per the link. Unless that is not working properly for some reason. I'm more used to a linksys setup and have only had the Asus router for about a month. I hope this is just going to be an as yet discovered simple setting change on the router.

Why does the phone pass the test over the same WIFI/router though? Hmm now that I am thinking about it my phone is connected over 5g and my older laptop is not. I wonder if the phone will pass the test if I force it to connect over the slower protocol/different frequency? I will try this.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  15. joaomgcd

Hope you get it :( Situation sucks

Lavenir likes this.
  16. wanderlone

wanderlone New Member

So here's more info...

I switched my phone off of 5g on to the slower protocol wifi and it still passed all the tests.

I plugged my laptop into the Asus router and it failed on the pushes.

I plugged the ethernet directly into the cable modem (Brighthouse Networks ISP Motorola surfboard modem) and it still failed on the pushes.

I went through and killed every software and service I could one at a time (Including Team Viewer which I forgot I had running) and it still failed on the pushes every time.

So I got nothing. :(

Lavenir likes this.
  17. wanderlone

wanderlone New Member

I uninstalled and reinstalled the chrome extension and logged into join while directly connected to the modem. No joy. Fails to receive pushes. Sigh.

Lavenir likes this.
  18. joaomgcd

Seems to not be router related then.. :( Sorry I wish I knew what's wrong.

19. skeeterfood

skeeterfood New Member

I'm now failing the push receive tests even on my Nexus 5. It doesn't matter if I force it to Cell Network, WiFi, or have them both enabled. Everything but receiving pushes works.

20. jhotmann

jhotmann New Member

Just installed Join tonight and think it's awesome so far. I'm having these same issues on my Windows 10 machine, while my Chromebook is receiving pushes, clipboard, and notifications just fine. I tried opening up the GCM ports in Windows Firewall to no avail.

If it counts for anything, I previously used an extension/app called SnapCopy to do clipboard sync and my Windows 10 computer wouldn't receive clipboard changes from it either.