AutoInput Copy/cut only selected text?

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by GreenRaccoon23, Aug 24, 2016.

1. GreenRaccoon23

GreenRaccoon23 New Member

I'm trying to set up a Tasker task with AutoInput. For this task, I need to copy/cut only a certain portion of a keyboard input field. If I use AutoInput's Cut action, it cuts the whole content of the input field. Is there a way to cut only the selected portion of the input field?

For example, say the keyboard input field says "All the text". If I select just "text" and then try to cut it with AutoInput's Cut action, it cuts "All the text". If I do not select any text before cutting, it also cuts "All the text". Is there a way to limit how much AutoInput will cut?

It might help to explain what I'm trying to do. I want to make a task which will wrap a word in quotes. It's always driven me nuts trying to put the cursor exactly where I need it because it always seems to end up one character next to the one I want. I feel like a 5 year old trying to color inside the lines lol.

2. Robert Ryan

Robert Ryan Member

Wouldn't it be easier to cut All the text, put the quotes where they are needed and then paste the modified text back into the field?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

3. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

That would actually be possible, but I didn't implement it in AutoInput. I figured it would add unneeded bloat to the app and almost no one would use it. I'm thinking about adding a new popup menu action with AutoShare though that would allow you to do that :)

4. GreenRaccoon23

From the man himself! Yes that is a good point about unneeded bloat. In my day job we're in a position right now where we have way too many side features which is getting in the way of adding real features, so I know what you mean.

That popup comment gave me an idea actually. Thanks! And thanks for making these awesome apps!

5. joaomgcd

Thank you for understanding! :) What idea did that give you by the way?

6. GreenRaccoon23

I'm going to split the text cut from the input field by spaces, then make a popup with items for each word. Then you can click the words that you want to wrap in quotes. :) Robert Ryan helped give me that idea too.

7. joaomgcd