Open Win 10 app very lacking...?

Discussion in 'Join' started by rdrisk55, Sep 29, 2018.

1. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Thanks. I'll do my best!

2. cattledogit

cattledogit New Member

Any luck? Could you get enough info from a system you access by remote control?

3. jssilver

jssilver New Member

Really disappointing. And I paid for the app! Sending messages from my laptop is a key reason for using Join - why would you release an app (and charge for it) when key features aren't even implemented? Chrome is a pig on Windows so I'm trying to avoid too many extensions. A native Windows app makes a lot of sense but I guess we're stuck with the Chrome extension for now.

4. rdrisk55

rdrisk55 New Member

I have to say and agree with jssilver above. I really don't understand why you would charge for this app when it does not work, not even for simple things like texting. It is so frustrating using this app. It does not push from win 10 to phone and visaversa. Oh it works once in a while but not worth the frustration. Hoping you will do what you promised and get it to work for at least as a texting app, which is really why I bought it. Can you please get this thing working? Or do you simply not know "how to" on Win 10?

5. joaomgcd

The problem is that the app works for me :( I'm not able to reproduce some of the issues people are reporting. For example, texting works fine for me in the Windows app...

6. rdrisk55

rdrisk55 New Member

So, when you text, everything pushes? Every time? Half the time the text is sent but not received until later. Half the time, I can't receive a text sent to me without going into the main window and coming back in to the person texting, it needs a refresh button. There is no copy and paste, there is emoji's... you can't fix any of this? Trust me, I would love to use this app in Win 10. I would use it in Chrome but it is such a resource hog, I would use it in Opera, which is my preferred choice, but there is no extension for Opera. So my choice is to put up with a poor running app or go back to Push Bullet? There are plenty of apps that work in win 10 so I just don't understand what the problem is.

7. joaomgcd

Yes, when I send a text from it, it pushes every time... And yes, texts also appear in the window when I receive them. About copy, paste, can you clarify? You mean clicking on a text and copying its text?
    About emojis, I'd have to look into it, you're right. I don't use them myself so I didn't even think it was that important of a feature....

8. rdrisk55

rdrisk55 New Member

So I deleted the app and re-installed it, now the copy/paste function appears to be working but if I wish to copy a text that was sent to me by highlighting the text box, it won't copy or even allow a line by line copy. Still has intermittent crashing on startup. And when a new text arrives, I have to refresh by going outside the text window of the person I am receiving from and then go back in, that way it refreshes but it does not refresh on its own nor is there a refresh button. Also, when a new text arrives, it should go to the top of the list like most texting apps do, it doesn't, sometimes I have to go deep into the contact list to find the new text from a contact. And of course, emojis are not critical just nice to have. I thought you mentioned in a previous post that emojis were working? And there is no "notification" of a new text arriving. Anyway, all I want from this app is to text from my laptop to my phone and contacts. Since the app works well as an extention in Chrome, I would think it would work equally well as a Win 10 app. I hope you can get it working better...Thanks

9. jukhi

jukhi New Member

I think rather than a Windows 10 Store app, it would've been better to develop a traditional standalone desktop app. You could implement a trial process, a license key system, and do all the features you want without being burdened by the limitations the Windows Store has.

rdrisk55 likes this.
  10. cattledogit

cattledogit New Member

It wasn't working for me for quite a while, even after rebooting, then a few days ago it started working again after a reboot, but just now I got "your'e not signed in." When I clicked the Sign In button it crashed, and now it's back to crashing again whenever I start it. I'll eventually try rebooting again, but it's back to Chrome for now, which lacks notifications.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  11. joaomgcd

The problem is that windows store apps can receive pushes directly which Join needs to sync your stuff. Regular windows apps can't receive pushes unfortunately, that's why I'm not able to do that.

I'm really sorry about all the issues with the Windows version!

12. jukhi

jukhi New Member

I would assume there has to be a way for regular Windows apps to be able to receive pushes. I mean there are regular Windows apps for SendLeap, EasyJoin, Pulse SMS, and even Pushbullet.

13. joaomgcd

From my understanding those require the app developers to set up push servers themselves, which is very expensive. Unfortunately since Join is a one-time purchase app, I can't afford that kind of server :(

14. jukhi

jukhi New Member

Indeed, looks like that's indeed the case for SendLeap, Pulse SMS, and Pushbullet. EasyJoin seems different though, their FAQ states:

There are other programs that do similar things, why did you decide to develop EasyJoin?
    Because i didn't want my data to run over the Internet, just to be copied from my computer to my mobile phone, which are on the same desk!
    And for security and privacy reasons, I didn't want to use external servers to send files to my nearby colleagues and friends. ​

Based on that, it looks like there's no push server in their solution. Maybe it might be worth checking out on how they receive pushes with a regular Windows app?

15. joaomgcd

Ah yes, that would work too, but then it would only work on the same local network unfortunately :( That or the user would have to deal with complicated port forwarding on their network...

16. rdrisk55

rdrisk55 New Member

Pretty much done with this app, too frustrating and a waste of time. Going back to PushBullet, let me know when it is fixed. You shouldn't be charging for this app yet. Not worth the 1.50 I spent. Sorry, but that is how I feel.

17. cattledogit

cattledogit New Member

A regular windows app that works only on the same local network that my phone is connected to is fine for me, and I suspect for most people. I just use Join to receive and respond to text messages from my desktop while my phone is sitting on my desk. A regular windows app that works consistently with that limitation would be much better than a windows store app that works only inconsistently.

18. joaomgcd

You're totally right. But the problem is that getting stuff to work on the local network is often harder than when using push services believe it or not... But yeah, that would be a good alternative...

19. soumyaranjanmahunt

soumyaranjanmahunt Member

I have a question, does the windows store app provide the default buttons in notification pushes, like if i receive a message i have to open a small window to reply or react to the message, is this the case for windows app too??

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

20. joaomgcd

In the windows app you can reply right in the notification