Open Is it possible to register as firebase device?

Discussion in 'Join' started by tregota, Mar 23, 2019.

1. tregota

tregota New Member

I've made a simple Join app for my home automation system that lets me send messages to my devices but I would also like to recieve commands. I made som headway by opening ports and registering the same way Node-Red does but the enforced url suffix "/push" stopped it from working well with the limitations of my HA system. I would have worked if I could've defined the whole url myself when registering. Then again, opening ports isn't ideal.
    Now I don't know anything about firebase so please excuse me if this is a stupid question. Would it be possible to send an recieve commands from Join using firebase?

thanks for making great tools
    /tregota

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hhmm, sorry but I don't think so. Are you not able to use the Join API?

3. tregota

tregota New Member

Yes, sending commands and messages works great.
    But there is no way of receiving commands using the API unless I'm missing something?
    During the quick visit I made to the Firebase site I saw that in addition to ios and android there was also web support so I hoped that meant that a javascript application could register as a device and receive messages just like the Join app can. Without having to mess with redirecting ports in routers. My home automation system uses NodeJS so that would probably work. But I didn't dig deeper. :)
    It probably would require some work on your side anyways.

If that currently isn't possible, can I make a feature request?
    A new device type much like TYPE_IP but where the reg_id is the whole url instead of the part being inserted into "http://${regId}/push". So that third party apps could use https and a completely custom url.
    That would be great but I get that you have alot on your plate.

Thanks for reading this far :)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  4. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately I don't think that was possible. Check out the answer here.

5. tregota

tregota New Member

Ah ok, it seems dependent on the PUSH API which is a browser thing. So yeah, you're probably right. Unless some hero has managed to implement it in JavaScript. But seemed like not.

Then I will hope you find my feature request feasible and worth your time.

Thanks