Open Join SMS Widget and/or SMS Shortcut for Tablet?

Discussion in 'Join' started by hollywoodfrodo, Apr 17, 2019.

1. hollywoodfrodo

hollywoodfrodo New Member

I got a tablet for my mom and am going to get Join for her so she can use it to text and not just her phone. But she's older so the more simple and obvious I can make things, the better. Just wondering if there's any plan for a Join Widget specifically for SMS that I could put on her homescreen.

Also, is there a Join Shortcut I can add to her homescreen that will not just open Join, but open directly into her SMS Phone messages (on the Tablet app)?

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi. Join already has an SMS shortcut you can put on your home screen :) Do you not see it?

3. hollywoodfrodo

Hi Joao - Welcome back from vacation! I think I was sleep when I wrote this... I do know there is a shortcut, but unfortunately I can't use it. The Amazon Fire Tablets have their own Skin on top of Android. So the "home screen" on there is actually just an app drawer that shows all apps. You can't add widgets or shortcuts.

So you may see other post from me (Google Groups Tasker Forum & Reddit) where I started looking for a way to use Tasker Intents to open right into the Join SMS screen. I could do that on my phone/tablet then export it as an app to install on my mom's Fire tablet so it would show on her "home screen." I got the intent info from AutoShortcut but couldn't figure out how to put the different parts into Tasker's Send Intent to make it work. I bought my mom the Fire Tablet for her Birthday and I purchased Join for her so she could use her Tablet to send/receive phone texts. Of course, she can open Join and then go to the menu to go to SMS, but my mom is in her 70's and not tech savvy at all so the easier I can make it for her, the better! :)

4. joaomgcd

Oh I see! Do you have the shortcut string from AutoShortcut handy so I can let you know how to get the intent from that? :)

5. hollywoodfrodo

#Intent;action=com.joaomgcd.join.action.SMS;launchFlags=0x10008000;component=com.joaomgcd.join/.activity.ActivityMain;S.EXTRA_TAB=Remote%20SMS;end

6. joaomgcd

Ok, so set the
    • Action to com.joaomgcd.join.action.SMS
    • Package to com.joaomgcd.join
    • Class to com.joaomgcd.join.activity.ActivityMain
    • Extra to EXTRA_TAB:Remote%20SMS
    • Target to Activity
    That should work :)

7. hollywoodfrodo

Really Appreciate your time, Joao! I know how busy you must be.

So at first it didn't work - then realized I had a type-O. Fixed that and now it just launches the app to the Devices Screen. It doesn't take me to the SMS Tab/Screen the way the shortcut does. Just launches into whatever screen was opened last just like opening the app.

8. hollywoodfrodo

Just for kicks, I tried going through all the various Category types, then all the various Mime Types, but they had no effect. Still just opened to the Devices Screen. The actual Join Remote SMS Shortcut, however, does work exactly as you'd expect and opens up to Remote SMS in the app. So something must be missing from the Send Intent???

9. joaomgcd

CAn you try setting the extra to EXTRA_TAB:Remote SMS with the space instead of the %20?

10. hollywoodfrodo

That was it!!! Now it works perfectly. I knew it was some small thing like that.

Thanks again for the help and for all your amazing apps that make my phones and tablets better!

11. joaomgcd

Nice :D Glad it works now!