Tasker Incoming Phone Call turns on SmartPlug

Discussion in 'Guides / Examples / Ideas Forum' started by Jim O'Neill, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Jim O'Neill

Jim O'Neill New Member

I'm not sure if I can feel more stupid, but I've spent six hours trying to get this to work. Ya'll make it look so easy and I know this has to be simple, but I am stumped.

I have Google Assistant and a smart plug. When I say, "hey google, turn on the strobelight" my Android and Google turn on the smart plug. I have a strobelight plugged in there. Of course, my phone is connected to my WiFi and so is the smart plug.

What I want is to have that strobelight come on when I receive a phone call so that I can see the strobe in my workshop. When I answer the call I want the strobe to turn off. They make these strobes for the hearing impaired, but they only work on landlines.

Can you point me to a guide for dummies like me that can make this happen?
    Thank you!

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Does that smart plug have a web API? Or does it maybe work with IFTTT?

3. Jim O'Neill

Jim O'Neill New Member

I don't know about the API, but IFTTT compatible is listed. I bought TanTan plugs, but I am really interested in more generic implementations. Loading and configuring Tasker has been difficult for me so I couldn't imagine sharing this idea with friends.

4. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Just so you understand, there's no way to simply make it all work with every single smart home appliance out there. Work has to be made to integrate each single appliance, so don't be surprised if some appliances can't be controlled automatically.
    But if it has IFTTT support you can easily control it with Join and Tasker :) Check here: https://joaoapps.com/join/ifttt/

Hope this makes sense!