Open Windows 10 App + Android App. Can't dismiss and they aren't in sync.

Discussion in 'Join' started by TheRickOfLemonGrab, Mar 18, 2016.

1. TheRickOfLemonGrab

TheRickOfLemonGrab New Member

Hi guys.

I wanted to make sure I read all the guides and FAQ first in order to not waste people's time, but the FAQ doesn't mention my problem, and there doesn't seem to be any guides on how to set up this app.
    Infact, it just seems to say "install" then "yay it works".

If there are guides that help with my problem, please feel free to point me to them.

I saw on the join demonstration video, that some of the messages had the dismiss button underneath, where as I don't have that on any thing.

I'm referring to this picture http://i.imgur.com/skrKDkX.png

I'm assuming that is a tweet, or facebook or something, not an SMS.

My SMS looks like this.
    [​IMG]

Should I not be able to dismiss this from here?
    If I click close, or if I click the close button in my notification panel (action center) it doesn't matter, it doesn't dismiss on my phone).

Likewise, dismissing from my phone doesn't dismiss on my PC. They both do nothing.
    Unless I don't understand how this app works, shouldn't I be able to dismiss all the notifications everywhere, from any device? I can't get any to work with anything else.
    I also don't know how I'm supposed to dismiss the windows 10 ones, there's no button. Maybe it's just that I can't dismiss them from the PC, and I'm using it wrong. But I clearly saw it work form the phone in the demo and I can't do that.

Email
    [​IMG]

Calendar reminders don't dismiss, in any direction, nothing does.

I have other problems but I thought I'd start here first to get the basics down before going on.

Can somebody please assist?

I so desperately want this to work because of how many things I have.

Android phone (Galaxy Note 5) - Join app installed
    Windows 10 Mail App - join app installed
    Firefox
    Pebble

Appreciate your assistance.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi there. Thanks for your feedback.

Indeed, the dismiss button should be appearing on those notifications.
    Can you check which version of the Join app you are running on Windows 10 by opening the app, going into settings->about please? thanks!

3. TheRickOfLemonGrab

Hey! Thank you so much for replying.

I have version 1.1.17.0
    (screenie for verification)
    [​IMG]

Cheers.
    Let me know what else I can do to assist.

4. TheRickOfLemonGrab

Should I be using a different version?

5. flu13

flu13 Member

In my experience, SMS notifications through Join will not dismiss SMS notifications on your phone.

Other notifications, however (Gmail and Sunrise are my two most common) can be dismissed by clicking the "x" on the Join notification. This will dismiss on the phone. I've never seen an actual "dismiss" button.

If you turn off SMS pushes for Join and enable notifications for your SMS app, then dismissing THAT notification from the phone will, in my experience, dismiss the notification from your phone, but I get duplicate notifications from my SMS app. Clicking on these notifications also doesn't pull up the Join SMS reply window, but instead tries to open the SMS app on your phone.

6. joaomgcd

@TheRickOfLemonGrab that looks ok!
    What if you open the Windows action center and expand a notification there? Does it also not show any buttons? Do you think that's maybe some system wide setting you disabled?

7. TheRickOfLemonGrab

That's a big shame.

I will try your sms app suggestion, thanks.

8. flu13

flu13 Member

It is, but it's a problem that exists with other apps like MightText, as well. The only one I've found that successfully handles SMS notifications like I'd want is PushBullet, but they have priced themselves out of the market. In the meantime, I'll trust that Joao will figure it out eventually. :)

9. TheRickOfLemonGrab

Hey.

There's no extra buttons when accessing it via the action center, for mail, or sms.

10. TheRickOfLemonGrab

What sort of system wide setting. Is this for Win10?

11. TheRickOfLemonGrab

Are there some tests I can do, look at error logs, WIN10 settings, or reinstall of certain software that can help me try and diagnose? I'm happy to do as much investigative work as possible.

12. joaomgcd

@flu13 can you tell me how it should work in your opinion?

@TheRickOfLemonGrab I was just grasping for straws because I have no idea what would make the buttons disappear like that :( I have had no other reports of that happening before. Do you know if you ever got a notification from another app on windows 10 that had buttons?

13. TheRickOfLemonGrab

I do get buttons for events from the Win10 Calendar.
    [​IMG]

14. joaomgcd

HAve you tried reinstalling the app? sorry, I really don't know why it wouldn't show any buttons, doesn't make sense!

15. flu13

flu13 Member

I think I've detailed it elsewhere, but basically, I like for all of my SMS notifications to stay in sync like other notifications. If I dismiss, say, a Google Calendar or Gmail notification from the Join Chrome extension, it also dismisses it from my phone. If I dismiss an SMS notification in Chrome, I still have the notification from my SMS app on my phone. I CAN achieve almost desired dismissal behavior by turning on notifications in Join for my SMS app, but (A) I get duplicates and (B) I can't reply from Chrome that way.

The ideal would be that when I get an SMS on my phone, I get a notification in Chrome. When I click the X on that notification, it would dismiss it on my phone, as well. If I click on the Chrome notification and reply, that should also dismiss the notification in both Chrome and on the phone.

16. TheRickOfLemonGrab

No problem, I'll reinstall and try a few different things. I'm happy to do some testing and tinkering.

One question though. If my android phone has a calendar alert popup and pushes it to the PC as a notification, and my WIN10 Calendar app does the same... what happens?

17. joaomgcd

@flu13 thanks for the description :) I'll see if I can make that happen

@TheRickOfLemonGrab you would simply get 2 notifications :)

flu13 likes this.