AutoVoice AVC and Say Actions

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by RuggedHunter, Apr 4, 2015.

1. RuggedHunter

RuggedHunter Member

What is the best practice for dealing with the automute every five seconds while another action needs to use the media channel? I use Continuous mode extensively in my car, and have a few tasks that use Say actions. I prefer not to change the channel from media, so I toggle AVC off before these tasks and back on at the end. It works, but sometimes I have problems disabling and enabling Continuous mode, effecting things downstream. I think persistent notification causes more problems than without it checked, but AVC gets killed unless it's on.

Is there a better way?

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

I think the you're doing it is correct. What problems do you have disabling and enabling continuous mode?

3. RuggedHunter

RuggedHunter Member

Thanks Joao! So, in a nutshell...I get inconsistencies in the performance of the action to toggle on/off Continuous mode.

Sometimes Continuous toggles off as expected, I change media volume to 15, then perform Say actions, then Continuous toggles back on just fine.

Sometimes the action that turns Continuous off is run successfully but there is a delayed response... When this happens, the next action turns media volume to 15, but since AVC is still on, the automute turns the volume back down. If the delayed response turns AVC off after it muted media volume (after the action to turn media volume to 15), then my Say actions run, but are muted.

Sometimes AVC just never turns off altogether.

Sometimes AVC toggling back on at the end gives me the same inconsistencies... Sometimes delayed, sometimes not performed at all.

I have watched the Tasker runlog live, and witnessed %AVCONTINUOUS = false, then see that the notification (Persistent) is still displaying. Opening the AutoVoice app shows that Continuous is still on, even when the toggle ran successfully and even changed the value of %AVCONTINUOUS

....It's a tough one to nail down and capture in a log.

4. RuggedHunter

RuggedHunter Member

I think that I might have more than one issue. I have some complex projects, sometimes with several levels of nested tasks, so I suspect that some symptoms are due to a priority error in my code. I'll try to isolate that, then describe the problem more precisely if needed. I think that I'm having a problem separate from that, but I recognize that not many others appear to have reported problems like what I'm trying to describe.

5. joaomgcd

Thanks for the description. I'll try to see if I get the same issues. Sorry for the trouble.

6. RuggedHunter

RuggedHunter Member

Just a quick update that I did confirm a priority issue and my AVContinuous profiles ran noticeably smoother after one test. I'm going to test it thoroughly during my commute for the next few days and see if I can capture any further problems in a log, or if this fixed the entire problem.

One of my kid apps was misbehaving, so I was running it as a Tasker project. It loops every few seconds and contains some nested Perform Task actions and some Wait actions. My understanding is that lower priority tasks can begin to run during a Wait action of a higher priority task...I think that's why I was getting inconsistencies. If my AVC profile was triggered during a Wait action of my higher priority looping task, it was performed immediately, disguising the problem. If that task was not at a Wait, then the task was queued...sometimes over my Max Queued setting in Tasker.

I'll update again by the weekend with either confirmed success or a more detailed description.

7. RuggedHunter

RuggedHunter Member

Okay, I put a Wait Until[%AVCONTINUOUS !~ true] after a AVC [disable] action and caught it. I also noticed that I had run an AVC [enable] action twice (separate profiles, and sloppy code), then when my voice profile was triggered and ran the AVC [disable] action, %AVCONTINUOUS did not have its value changed to 'false' and my Wait Until would not stop waiting.

I'll add an If condition to the duplicate enable action... that might be the problem.

What's the preferred method of sharing a log privately, pm or email?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  8. joaomgcd

You can send it via email please :)