AutoTools Gestures - Light Threshold Question

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by Stupifier, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Stupifier

Stupifier Member

What exactly is the Light Threshold based on? Is it only based on the actual pressure applied to the tap? Our Phone's can measure such force applied to a screen? Or is it based on something else such as screen area/size of a tap?

I am having issues getting my OnePlus 3 to detect the difference between a light and hard tap. For whatever reason, OnePlus 3 (and many other phones) do not actually report Pressure of taps but instead report the Size of taps. This can easily be seen when you enable the "Pointer Location" option in Android Developer Options.

Alternative workaround/solution:
    Instead of relying ONLY on pressure to discern the difference between light/hard taps, can we have an optional setting which uses Screen Area instead? Typically, a light tap covers far less surface area on the screen compared to a hard tap. In other words, when you press hard on the screen, your finger will flatten out and touch more screen area. This difference is crucial and easily repeatable.

In fact, this exact application has been exploited to create an Xposed module to great success in the past. The guy called these gestures "Force Touch" and the developer allowed the user to choose between Pressure or Screen Area (each having its own adjustable threshold value).
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/modules/mod-force-touch-detector-t3130154

Think you can add an option to allow us to use Size instead of Pressure for these gestures?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

It's already based on screen area I think :) There's no "real" way to detect pressure on Android, at least to my knownledge, so it's based on area. That's my understanding at least...

3. Stupifier

Stupifier Member

Could you take a look at the very top of the attached Screenshot?

I believe your Gestures are using the "prs" value....which for many phones is always 1.0 regardless of how you tap. Next to that is "size". The "size" value changes with respect to how I tap my phone (hard or light)....this is true for other phone models as well.

This list (link below) is outdated but it shows various phone models and if they detect "prs" or "size". The list was put together by the dev community for that xposed module.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1okpcVRmb6hl-WoGrSIpUrsayMWH0QeZtVXXSF1D0euY/edit#gid=0

Not all phones use "prs" or "size"....some do both, some only do one of them. This is my point. Would it be difficult to add a setting to allow us to use "size" instead of "prs" with your Screen gestures in AutoTools?

I don't know what "prs" stands for but I could only guess it was meant to mean "pressure"................

I think having this additional setting I am suggesting would allow many of your Users to actually USE this fantastic feature you have implemented....myself included!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  4. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

5. Stupifier

Stupifier Member

Excellent! Thanks for extending the user base for this feature. I tested and light/hard taps are detected as they should after I correctly set my light threshold value.

Two recommendations:
    1. The Light Threshold value is going to be different for those who use size instead of pressure. For example, my threshold is 0.0260. On average, a light tap is 0.0225 and a hard tap is 0.0300 on my OnePlus 3. It will be different for each device. My Galaxy S5 was roughly the same but slightly different. Just something worth mentioning.

2. Regardless of using pressure or size, the threshold value will be different if the device is currently charging....don't ask me why, it just is. It is for that reason, the Xposed Dev made a separate threshold field for when device is charging. Otherwise, taps were being detected incorrectly while charging. Do you think you could add this conditional Light Threshold Value so people can utilize your feature while their devices are charging?

Just some useful information for you to consider :)

And FYI....This feature opens up huge possibilities (see Xposed module) and it is the final Xposed Module which was holding me back from upgrading to Nougat! I would donate......but to be honest, I already pay you $$$ every month LOL. You never let us down.

Sent from my OnePlus 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
: Gesutres