Chrome Extension Permissions

Discussion in 'App/Feature Suggestion' started by Eraldoe, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Eraldoe

Eraldoe New Member

Hi, loving the app.

I have a question about the permissions the chrome extension asks for.

[​IMG]
    (example of the request)
    Its requests, with my comments:
    • View your email address - Seems reasonable
    • View your basic profile info - Seems reasonable
    • View and manage Google Drive files and folders that you have opened or created with this app - seems obvious
    • View and manage the files in your Google Drive - Huh? Why do this after the above?
    • View and manage its own configuration data in your Google Drive - Seems obvious
    I am confused as to why Join apparently asks for complete access to your google drive, after also asking for access to it's own app folder which seems far more appropriate. It requests two very reasonable permissions that follow the principle of least access, but then render this containment irrelevant with what appears to be carte blanche access to your entire google drive.

The permission I'm concerned about is explained in Google's own words as:
    • Upload, download, update, and delete files in your Google Drive
    • Create, access, update, and delete native Google documents in your Google Drive
    • Manage files and documents in your Google Drive (e.g., search, organize, and modify permissions and other metadata, such as title)

This access (complete control to download/delete/modify everything!) seems excessive and unnecessary. It would seem to me that having access to just it's own folder is sufficient. Is this permission necessary? Why is it necessary?

Thanks!

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi there.

Unfortunately that's the only way I can use Google Drive for random files.
    The "View and manage Google Drive files and folders that you have opened or created with this app" permission is used for web apps that integrate with the google drive website. I think I might be able to not use that one at all, I'm not sure.

For an app to randomly put files on your Google Drive without you having to go to the website and actively create a file with an webapp yourself is by having that permission, at least as far as I can tell.

Sorry, wish I could make it more restrictive, but I don't see how.

Eraldoe likes this.
  3. Eraldoe

Eraldoe New Member

Perfect reply, thanks.