Open EventGhost Setup?

Discussion in 'Join' started by flu13, Jul 11, 2018.

1. flu13

flu13 Member

Can anyone point me at an up-to-date guide for setting up Join & EventGhost? I've found some things, but they're all pretty old.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

The only guides that are available are for AutoRemote unfortunately. What were you looking for exactly?

3. flu13

flu13 Member

Well, the first couple of things I stumbled across started by talking about AutoRemote, but then I saw that AutoRemote was no longer needed and you just needed Python, but then I saw different Python commands, and I just hoped there was some simple, succinct, updated guide out there.

4. joaomgcd

Unfortunately there's not yet, sorry. But let me know what you need and I can help you :)

5. flu13

flu13 Member

Thanks, Joao. Top-notch user support, as always! Been a while since I donated, but I smell another one coming.

Here's what I specifically want to accomplish: I use a VPN on a server that I have. When I reset my router, the VPN disconnects. My goal is to have a way to trigger that VPN to reconnect from my phone. My hope is that with Join and EventGhost, I can accomplish that, but I may be aiming too high.

In general, I'd just like to get EventGhost working and interfacing with Join so that I can make things happen on the server. If you can give me the basics, that might be enough to make me dangerous.

6. joaomgcd

Ok, so, to get started you should do this:

• Setup EventGhost to receive messages like this. Only the part about receiving messages
    • Install the Join Chrome extension
    • Setup EventGhost redirection in the extension settings to the same port you used in the the EG AutoRemote plugin
    • Send a message to Chrome from Join and you should see its text in the EventGhost log
    • React to those messages like mentioned in the AutoRemote-EventGhost tutorial
    Let me know if this helps :)

flu13 likes this.
  7. flu13

flu13 Member

I totally got busy and forgot about this. Thanks for the reply. I'll give these steps a shot.

8. flu13

flu13 Member

Ok, question already. How do I get this "personal URL" it talks about? Do I have to install AutoRemote on my phone to get that?

9. DagDia

DagDia New Member

I am getting multiple events when I log out and log in. like 6 - 20. I found some posts out there buy no answers. Can anyone help?

10. Mike Park

Mike Park New Member

Got a screenshot?

11. Andy J Z

Andy J Z New Member

Is your VPN on the same machine as Eventghost? If so could you use Eventghost's Process Watcher plugin to see/sence when VPN has disconnected and reconnect it afterwords?
    I have done that.

I also have some Tasker task shortcuts on my phone that send messages to my EG PC to start/stop VNC as needed.

: join, eventghost