Open How many Join pushes is too many?

Discussion in 'Join' started by duckredbeard, Jun 2, 2019.

1. duckredbeard

duckredbeard New Member

Join is a big part of my DIY home security system. The Raspberry Pi 3 A+ monitors entry and garage doors, basement and garage motion, and motion on the main level. A Pi Zero W monitors motion in the upstairs hallway. I expect I will add smoke, flame, and carbon monoxide monitoring to both levels soon. On each event, I get a Join push (requests.post to the Join URL) from the Pi that detected the event. The Join pushes contain key words that Tasker uses as contexts for tasks that make notifications, make sounds, update widgets, etc. I can use Tasker profile enable/disable to "ignore" the pushes at different times of the day. The pushes are happening, I just have them turned off at my phone. (I don't care about Living Room motion if I am home, so I disable the profile so I don't get a notification on every event.)

That leads into the question. Is there a limit on how many of these Join pushes I can do per day?

One thing I am considering is having each RPi do a push every 15 or 30 minutes that would advise me that the home security system is up and running. Would this be a bad idea or a burden on Join's servers?

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Well, it's hard to say how many is too many... I can say this: I just hope not everyone does what you're doing :D
    If you could maybe keep it under 100 pushes a day that would be great.

3. duckredbeard

duckredbeard New Member

Ok...so I won't do the scheduled post. I guess I need to find a way to enable/disable the pushes at the RPi instead of at the phone that receives the pushes. The door operation is likely to be 4-6 events per day. But the motion...that is going to be much more. Now I really need to figure out how to control the RPi where I can enable/disable the program that monitors the motion sensor. Figuring out the SSH function is much more important now.

4. duckredbeard

duckredbeard New Member

Is there another way? AutoRemote message from the RPi?

5. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

AutoRemote has the same issue as Join :) If you push it too hard, I'll pay a lot of money :D