AutoCast How to find out if any App is connected to my Cast device?

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by cramu, Oct 11, 2015.

1. cramu

cramu New Member

To make my AI start-casting profiles work correctly I need to find out if any app is already connected to my Shield TV.

While having TuneIn connected, I ran an AC query for Other Apps but non of the variables was being set.
    Is this due to limitations in the free version of AC or is AC not able to detect if any app is connected to Chromecast?

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Due to a bug in the Cast API it isn't able to detect it. But you can probably use an AutoInput UI query action before casting to see if it's already casting :)

3. Stupifier

Stupifier Member

Curious, has this Cast API bug been fixed? Or can you elaborate on using Autoinput UI query to detect app casting?

4. joaomgcd

Last time I checked it wasn't sorry.
    About UI query, I think that in some apps when the app is casting the text related to the button will change. I could be wrong though!

5. cramu

cramu New Member

That is correct.
    Problem is that this method only works with screen on.

6. joaomgcd

Yes, that's an unfortunate side effect :(

7. Pete_Repeat

Pete_Repeat Member

Hi João. Is this likely to be fixed soon? I bought autocast just to detect when my chromecast was playing and then switch my audio amplifier channel. None of the autocast events seem to occur in tasker when I start playing, switch apps etc. I'm a fan of all your add-ons, just not this one as I only want it for thia function ha ha

8. Pete_Repeat

Pete_Repeat Member

I don't think I can use ui queries to trigger

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  9. Pete_Repeat

Pete_Repeat Member

I should add that I am using my google home device to play music on the chromecast. I want to detect when the chromecast is playing from my media box so I can switch the input on my amplifier to the chromecast

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  10. joaomgcd

Unfortunately it's not up to me to fix it, sorry! :( I don't think they'll ever fix it..

11. Pete_Repeat

Pete_Repeat Member

I suspected that but thanks for replying.
    Is there any way to send a http get request or something to determine if the chromecast is playing? I know this is outside the scope of this topic so I'll move it elsewhere if the answer is not straight forward.

12. Pete_Repeat

Pete_Repeat Member

This returns something but for some reason the status returns "stopped" even when it's playing or not, even exiting the google music app on the chromecast doesn't change the response.

If I do the same for YouTube it changes the response however so this isn't a good sign for Google music damn. So close but so far I think.

http://192.168.1.114:8008/apps/GoogleMusic

13. Pete_Repeat

Pete_Repeat Member

I tried using autonotification but unfortunately my android boxes don't show the chromecast notification. They show the chromecast is playing in the home app but no notification in the bar. Only my phone and tablet shoelw the notifications unfortunately and they require the screen to be on to detect the notification... If I could get my android boxes to show the cast notification then autonotification would work fine.... But none of them do (minix u1's and a himedia q10 pro all running 5.1.1 which is supposedly OK.. Himedia q10 pro can be upgraded to 7 but don't think thatll fix the notification not showing..) Hoping I can solve this.