Solved Join and SMS aren't syncing well

Discussion in 'Join' started by Landon Crowther, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Landon Crowther

Landon Crowther New Member

Hi there!

I've been trying to use the chrome extension primarily for SMS messaging.

It was working great a few weeks ago, but I had to reinstall. Now it is hit or miss.

Messages don't sync properly -- I will get a text on my phone, and it often won't show up in the SMS section, even after refreshing. Additionally, messages will come in waves, where as soon as I open the Join app on my phone, all the messages come through at once.

I keep getting the notification to clear Google Play Services app data, and have done this multiple times, but haven't had a problem.

Additionally, I've run the diagnostics tool and everything seems fine.

Not sure what to do anymore...

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for your feedback.

Is maybe your Google Drive space running low?

Also, is your Chrome enabled under the Android App's settings -> SMS -> SMS Devices?

3. LocutusX

LocutusX Member

Hi Joao,

I definitely like this app and I'd like to support it more. However, the inconsistent syncing between Join app and my Android device's SMS messages is quite worrying. Here's my situation:

Android device: LG G4, all stock firmware/ROM (unrooted), running Android 6.0
    I am reading SMS messages via the web interface (https://joinjoaomgcd.appspot.com/), accessed from Firefox 47
    My Google Drive has 100GB+ of free space
    JOIN is latest version from Play Store (v1.0.16)

I sent 2 SMS messages from my Android device to one of my contacts this morning, at 10am and 10:30am. It's now 11:50am and the web interface still does not show those messages.
    Also, when I go to Logs on the Join app on the phone, the last activity in both File and SMS categories was at 9:36am. So it looks like the Join app is not detecting the 2 new SMS messages I sent at 10am and 10:30am!

I am using the standard/built-in LG Text Messaging app - I do not use a 3rd party client.

Any ideas on how this can be fixed?

Thank you!

4. joaomgcd

Thank you for the detailed description!
    Just a question, on your device that you're sending the SMS messages from, do you use the Clipboard bubble or the accessibility service?

Thanks!

5. LocutusX

LocutusX Member

The answer is No to both :)

Do you want me to try again with one of those features enabled? Ideally, I would prefer not to use Clipboard bubble on my G4, because that phone already has a "smart clipboard" feature provided by LG which can't be disabled.

6. joaomgcd

Yes, please. As a test can you please enable one of those and try again? Thanks in advance

7. LocutusX

LocutusX Member

Good news! I have enabled ONLY the accessibility service and that problem appears to be fixed!

I don't mind keeping accessibility enabled if it's required for this to work... I'm just glad it works now :)
    Perhaps adding this info to the FAQ will be useful.

8. joaomgcd

It was not supposed to be that way, so I'll check what's up :) Glad it works now though, thanks for the feedback!

9. Landon Crowther

Landon Crowther New Member

Hi there again!

I still haven't been able to solve the problem...

My google drive space is sufficient, chrome IS enabled as a device, I have accessibility on.

To give you an update on what's happening:

I use join primarily for sending sms messages on my computer. When I open the chrome sms page, a list of messages show up with my contacts. However, this list is often not updated. For example, I sent a text at 6:45, and it's only showing the messages from 4:30.

I've noticed that I can send messages just fine from the chrome extension, they just don't always register (even after refreshing, sometimes the message threads aren't correct)

Additionally, I constantly get the "google drive data is not up to date" error.
    The app will periodically work as its supposed to. This typically happens when I open the join app on my phone.

When it does work, it sens all the sms notifications starting from when it last worked.

I have join running in the foreground, and I have disabled any apps that might turn it off while the phone is sleeping, such as Greenify and the android doze feature.

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but here is a screenshot of the logs that might make more sense to you...

I am using a galaxy s6 with android marshmallow.

Attached Files:

10. joaomgcd

@Landon Crowther sorry for the long delay, but I was out for some time. Are you still having those issues?

11. Deepak Rao

Deepak Rao New Member

Same issue on my Note 8. SMS sync is inconsistent. Some show and some dont.

12. joaomgcd

@Deepak Rao those are probably RCS messages. Unfortunately there's no way for Join to support those. Sorry!

13. bsizzle

bsizzle New Member

I'm running into a similar issue where I'll receive new SMS notifications, but messages don't sync in the SMS/Phone tab. I've noticed the message syncing problem especially since I switched to using Signal as my default SMS app. Do you think this is a conflict with how Signal sends SMSes?

Edit: Actually I think I answered my own question. It looks like Signal stores SMSes in an encrypted database, so when I switched back to a different SMS app, I found any messages sent through Signal doesn't show up outside of Signal either.

14. Bob Baskerville

Bob Baskerville New Member

I am having the same problem on a brand new LG V40 Android 9. Some messages from phone end up on desktop (Chrome with Join extension Windows 10), and some from desktop end up on phone. But not all. I've done the clipboard and accessibility things from above.

HELP!!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  15. TheConsciousness

TheConsciousness New Member

Yeah...this ain't solved. I've had this problem intermittently for years. Same lag in SMS messages updating from the phone to the chrome extension. The refresh button should clear the cache and ask for a fresh pull of texts from the phone.