Can't Fix Join not sending notifications from RocketPlayer (music player)

Discussion in 'Join' started by obscurereference, Feb 3, 2016.

1. obscurereference

obscurereference New Member

I had a brilliant idea for something I could do with join - if I could tell it to send notifications from my music player app (I use RocketPlayer) I'd be able to control it from my PC whilst I'm working!

However I can't seem to get Join to send/receive notifications from RocketPlayer. I've added the app to the notifications whitelist in Join, and ticked the box in Join to allow persistent notifications, but I'm still not getting anything.
    I've tried it on two different android devices, both running the latest version of join. I tried a similar thing with Tasker's persistent notification and that works fine and appears in Chrome without any problems.

Is there something else I could try to get this to work or is there something else that's preventing Join from using RocketPlayer notifications?

Thanks for your help
    Rob

2. obscurereference

Just to follow up on this, I tried intercepting RocketPlayer's notification in autonotification, just to try and figure out for myself what the issue is. I noticed that the almost all of the Tasker variables that autonotification usually fills in were empty. I'm guessing this is related to the same issue. Is RocketPlayer perhaps producing its notifications in a way that makes them hard to read?
    Rob

3. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

yeah, it's probably using a non-standard notification layout which will make that happen. But if you want to control it on your PC you could create an AutoNotification notification and have Join mirror that :)

4. obscurereference

Right, I'll give that a go. I was hoping to have it work directly with Join without having to involve Tasker (just for the sake of simplicity and because it would be more responsive without everything going through Tasker) but it does sound like RocketPlayer's problem and not Join's problem.

Thanks for the advice!
    Rob

5. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

yeah, if an app uses a non-standard layout it's almost impossible for Join to figure out what the various texts are. Sorry!

6. Timdg

Timdg New Member

Hi,
    I'm having the same problem.
    I try to get the song information from Rocket Player, but using AutoNotification, I don't get any valid data. Only the app name is filled in.

I however found that "Notification Listener" app can read the data from the Rocket Player notification.
    I don't know what the difference is between the techniques that AutoNotification and Notification Listener uses, but I hope this problem can be solved in AutoNotification.