Open Join: Support for Big-text fields display

Discussion in 'Join' started by Laing, May 9, 2020.

1. Laing

Laing New Member

Previously I reported an issue with AutoNotification in that the support for Big-text data was incorrectly displayed when a notification was in the collapsed state, as it should only be displayed in the expanded state. I was directed to an issue tracker https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/141403558 that indicated the issue was with API 29, and would be fixed with API 30 / Android 10. So my phone (Pixel 3XL), was updated to 10 first, and yes, my AutoNotifications now displayed correctly in both collapsed and expanded state. However when Join pushed the notification to my tablet Tab S6), still on API 29, it still showed the same issue, i.e. the expanded text is shown in both collapsed and expanded,and so I initially thought the issue was the tablet was still on API 29.

Today my tablet was updated to API 30 / Android 10, and unfortunately the Join notifications still used expanded text for both collapsed and expanded state. I generated a local notification that had both text and expanded text, and that displayed correctly in the collapsed and expanded state.

So should I expect a Join notification to support collapsed and expanded text display?

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Can you send me an example of a Join notification you're sending? How are you sending that exactly?

3. Laing

Laing New Member

I thought my Tab s6 was correctly displaying non-expanded text in local notifications however it does not appear to be working. I went back to using a Pixel 2XL and 3 XL, with AutoNotification generating notifications that had different values for normal and expanded title and text. Join on both devices was configured to share those notifications to the other device. The local notifications displayed correctly in both normal and expanded state. The Join notifications always showed the expanded title/text, in both normal and expanded formats.
    Pixel 2 XL.jpeg Pixel 3 XL.jpeg

4. joaomgcd

Oh I see. That's because at the moment Join doesn't support expanded text, sorry :) Should've checked before. I need to add support for that later.

5. Laing

Laing New Member

Thanks. It's not a very pressing need, and in some situations, like sharing to my Android TV, it's much better to see expanded text, as those toast notifications only appear for 5 seconds and show all of the text. Currently the only option is where they should appear. If Join does get support, then if possible Android TV should default to expanded, or have a option.

6. joaomgcd

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Laing likes this.