AutoVoice Documentation for Hot Phrase?

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by RuggedHunter, Jan 6, 2016.

1. RuggedHunter

RuggedHunter Member

I've searched the in-app help links, the old forums, these forums, and Google...but I can't seem to find anything directly related to the experimental Hot Phrase setting in the Advanced menu. I can't seem to figure it out on my own, so I might not even have a compatible device...but I'd like to read up on it if I can. Could someone point me in the right direction?

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Quick question: do you have a device that lets you say "ok google" to wake up your phone while the screen is off and it's not charging?

3. RuggedHunter

RuggedHunter Member

Sorry, I forgot to check the email alerts box on this thread...

I don't think so. OK Google works from any screen, while display is ON or while device IS charging. That's the description in GNOW settings and that's what I experience when testing it out.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ g928c international version. Root/ROM/Xposed

4. joaomgcd

Then unfortunately that feature won't work for you, sorry! Wish I could help

5. RuggedHunter

RuggedHunter Member

So...@joaogmcd

I have an s6 edge+ with an information stream that appears on the edge when I perform a gesture while the display is off (a stock function).

I have modified it so that it will appear automatically when a specific notification is received. I have used Tasker and AutoNotifications to launch this information stream every time the screen turns off.

My screen is off. I need to hit power or home button to turn it on, then unlock my device like normal. However, with this information stream on, my device is broadcasting that the screen is on...Tasker reads it as on, and I can say OK Google from this otherwise off display, and it works. I get a Google Now voice prompt.

Does that change things?

6. joaomgcd

Oh, sorry, it really doesn't. The issue I mentioned is hardware specific. Unless your phone has a supported "always listening" chip like the nexus 6 for example it won't work. Also, even on the nexus 6 you can't change the hot phrase to anything else. It only works with "Ok Google".

Sorry for not being more specific

RuggedHunter likes this.
  7. Stryder

Stryder New Member

I have the Moto X Pure Edition (Moto X Style) that supports "always listening." I can say my custom phrase when the screen is off to activate Moto Voice commands. However, I can't figure out how to pipe those voice commands into AutoVoice. Is this where the AutoVoice "hot phrase" comes into play? I tried changing the AutoVoice "hot phrase" to match my own custom phrase for Moto Voice and it doesn't seem to work. Any more information about the "hot phrase" would be appreciated.

To elaborate, Moto Voice will try to run whatever my voice command is first. If it doesn't recognize something, it'll then pass the words into Google Now as a text search, which AutoVoice can then pick up. However, that takes longer, and loses whatever commands Moto Voice tries to run first. Any way to get the AutoVoice "hot phrase" to work instead of Moto Voice?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  8. joaomgcd

What Android version is that running @Stryder ?

9. Stryder

Stryder New Member

Marshmallow

10. joaomgcd

I was able to do it on Lollipop but for some reason they changed it on Marshmallow and I cannot use it anymore on that. Sorry!

: Hot, Phrase, Word