Open SMS Not Syncing

Discussion in 'Join' started by matt11601, Dec 7, 2016.

1. matt11601

matt11601 New Member

Hello, I was hoping to get some help.
    Devices:
    1) HTC M8, stock ROM, rooted, Hangouts is main SMS app.
    2) Amazon Kindle Fire, custom ROM,
    3) Windows 7 Professional, Chrome Extension (using EventGhost Port 1818)
    4) Xbox One

All apps and extensions are up to date on all devices.

Problems: SMS is successfully sent from the Chrome Extension, but the message is not synced to my phone. I know it's successful because I receive an SMS back from my friends. My SMS app on my phone is Hangouts (latest version). The same occurs when replying to SMS from my Amazon tablet. If I send an SMS from my phone, it successfully appears in the Chrome extension.

Also, SMS no longer appears on my XBOX. Not sure if this is related to one single problem or not.

Solutions Tried: I have not tried to fix this because I do not know where to start. I ran the diagnostics on Chrome and my phone. Both were successful for all tests.

Thanks for a great app and any help.
    Matt

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  2. Malty

Malty New Member

Having the same problem. I trialled Join for the month, and liked it so much better than the alternatives, that I bought it. Since then (coincidence, I'm sure), my SMS syncing has become problematic. Sometimes it syncs new SMS messages that are received within 2-5 minutes, sometimes it takes an hour. Sometimes never. I can only send SMS messages from the Chrome plugin if my phone's screen is on...if the screen is off, they hang indefinitely.
    I've also tried all the tests, and every thing is OK.
    I don't even know where to start to diagnose this. Any advice?
    Phone: Galaxy S7
    Computer: Chrome extension

3. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

4. LocutusX

LocutusX Member

Hi Joao,
    Can you publish the above linked APK to the "beta program" version on Google Play??

5. Malty

Malty New Member

Joao, I've tried the version that you provided above, and I am still encountering the same issues. New SMS messages take anywhere from 45-60 minutes to sync from my phone to my Chrome browser. Sorry!
    Any idea what might be causing this?

6. joaomgcd

When you say sync, do you mean receiving the notification?

7. Malty

Malty New Member

That's correct, I don't receive the notification in Chrome for 45-60 minutes after the SMS has been received on the phone. I've tried manually refreshing (the circle arrow button), but that doesn't help either. It looks like I am not the only one with this problem - there are a number of threads on this topic in this forum. I'm guessing that you don't know what might be causing this?

8. joaomgcd

Sorry, I must've missed the other posts. Can you please point me to them? Thanks in advance.

9. Malty

Malty New Member

10. LocutusX

LocutusX Member

Joao,

I tried the beta version 1.0.38b to see if it resolves my "when screen is off, phone won't relay SMS messages sent from desktop PC Web interface" (since it may be related to the problem in this thread) - the beta did not resolve this issue. It's still there.
    However, it APPEARS as if this issue only happens when my phone is on cellular data (LTE). I don't believe it happens when on Wi-Fi. I'll do more investigation and let you know.
    What exactly does the web interface do when you type a text message and send it? Does it involve Google Drive in any way, or somehow put the message into GCM?

11. joaomgcd

It just sends a GCM to your phone telling it to send the SMS message. It seems that for some reason your LTE network is restricting or delaying push notifications for some reason?

12. LocutusX

LocutusX Member

Is it GCM "high priority" notifications?
    I have a OnePlus3 and I wonder if it is engaging "Doze mode" when the screen turns off while on LTE.

13. joaomgcd

Yes, it's set to high priority.

14. Malty

Malty New Member

Today, I left my screen on all day to see if the lock screen was interfering with the app. No luck...sms messages are appearing in my chrome extension up to 2h 15m after they show up on my Galaxy S7. Is there going to be a fix for this? Because as of now, this app is unusable.

15. joaomgcd

@Malty can you please post the android app's logs after you receive an SMS (and when the delivery of the SMS is delayed) so I can check what's up? Thanks

16. Malty

Malty New Member

Can you tell me how to get the logs? I have no idea.

17. joaomgcd

Open the app, then expand the navigation bar on the left and go into the logs screen. There's a button to export them on the top right there.

18. matt11601

matt11601 New Member

@joaomgcd

Sorry for the delayed response. The beta posted above appears to have fixed my issue with syncing in Hangouts. I haven't confirmed if my Xbox One app is working yet. Will reply when I know more. Thanks a lot for the help and a great app. Will keep you updated.

19. joaomgcd

20. matt11601

matt11601 New Member

@joaomgcd
    I'm so sorry, looks like I spoke too soon. A few text messages appeared in Google Hangouts correctly, but then stopped. Of note, my conversations are fine in Join (after going to the Remote SMS page). It's just Hangouts that does not show messages I sent from Chrome/Join on Kindle.

: SMS, Syncing