Solved specific devices as "Sharing Shortcuts" in Android 10 share menu

Discussion in 'Join' started by Alan Pierson, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Alan Pierson

Alan Pierson New Member

Is there a way to get specific devices to show up directly in Android 10's sharing menu? (Right now, I see "Join" in the Android 10 sharing menu; and once I tap on that, I get all the options for specific devices.) I'd love to be able to copy text to other devices with fewer taps.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

They should already show up there, although other apps might overtake them. Since there's no way to manually choose which apps can show their icons there, there's no good way to guarantee that Join devices will show... Sorry!

3. Alan Pierson

Alan Pierson New Member

Thanks for the response! Is there any way to control _which_ specific devices show up in Android 10's sharing menu? I'm currently getting "Nearby Device," which I _never_ use, and I'd like to instead get "All", which I use a ton!

thank you for the help and for the amazing work on this project!

Alan

4. joaomgcd

Yep! You can control those in Join > Settings > Pushes > Show Nearby When Sharing and Disable Direct Share :)

5. Alan Pierson

Alan Pierson New Member

Thank you so much! Yeah, that's a total game changer!

Thank you: Android 10's revoking of clipboard access suddenly sucks a lot less...

6. joaomgcd

Cool! Glad to help! :) And about the clipboard, yeah, wish Google could reconsider it...

7. Adam Lopresto

Adam Lopresto New Member

In Android 10, it looks like they've changed the preferred Direct Share API, and are now suggesting using the Sharing Shortcuts API.
    https://developer.android.com/about/versions/10/features#sharing
    There's a note there that "The older Direct Share mechanism still works, but apps that use it have a lower priority than apps using the Sharing Shortcuts API." So if you're still using the older mechanism, maybe that's why none of the targets are showing up; they're still available, but they're being weighted lower than, for instance, Messages. Just a thought that might be worth looking into.