AutoNotification Tasker guide for manually implementing new Gmail features in AN

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by ejf071189, Dec 24, 2017.

1. ejf071189

ejf071189 Member

Is everything that's happening with the custom gmail notifications feasible through the AN plugin in Tasker? I'd like to do a similar project with notifications from other applications.

Most notably, I've always had trouble intercepting/replacing notifications in such a way that they get bundled together. I noticed the "mark as read" AN functionality that came out didn't bundle notifications, so thought this was a limitation of AN, but now see that the new update bundles! Would definitely like to see how this works on the back end so I can bundle my replaced notifications from other messaging apps!

https://joaoapps.com/fully-costumize-buttons-in-gmail-notifications-with-autonotification/

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

3. ejf071189

ejf071189 Member

Ok so I got the bundling working but the other issue I was having (and still am) is to get the notifications to append update (I'm replacing notifications from the android messages app per this guide: http://forum.joaoapps.com/index.php?resources/replace-third-party-notificatios-with-your-own.262/)

I tried making the initial notification using the notification title (the sender of the message) as the notification ID as well as a hardcoded value (e.g. 555) for testing, and in both cases get the error: "Notification can't be updated because no notification with the same ID exists"

Does the ID of the notification have the potential to change? If so, what could I be doing that's changing it?

Also, when I use the "pull from existing notification" feature in the AN intercept event profile, it pulls completely different IDs than what I specify when the notifications are created, but even when I put this id into an update notification, I still get the above error.

EDIT: I was able to find here that the last paragraph is explained by string>integer conversion: plus.google.com/104234830799379436791/posts/N2cYPwJAm7c

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  4. ejf071189

ejf071189 Member

Oddly enough, the notifications can be canceled using the AN cancel action using the IDs with which they are created.

5. ejf071189

ejf071189 Member

After further testing, I was able to find that the reply action is what's causing the problem. If a notification has a reply action associated with it, then trying to update it results in the "no notification with the same ID exists" error, though canceling it works just fine with the ID.

6. joaomgcd

You don't need to update it though :) Just create a new notification with the same id and it'll overwrite the previous one.

7. ejf071189

ejf071189 Member

But when I do that the notification would only show the most recent message as opposed to the last couple. i.e. if someone says (Message 1) "Hey!" (Message 2) "What's up?" The messages app puts both of those into one notification (by updating the first notification with the new text). I suppose a workaround would be to query the old notification and extract the text, then build the text of the new notification by combining them.

8. joaomgcd

Yeah, that would be a way to do it, you're right.