Open Chrome extension doesn't work if started in background

Discussion in 'Join' started by Potatoes, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Potatoes

Potatoes New Member

Greetings,

I've been trying Join with the Chrome extension for a few days now and it is great, but there is one annoyance. It only works when I have Chrome open. Since Chrome is not my main browser and there is no extension for Firefox, I prefer not starting it manually every time I turn on my PC. I tried to use the "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" setting for Chrome. This setting causes the Chrome extensions to start automatically when the OS boots and run at all times (even when the browser is closed).

However when I start my PC with this setting enabled, all extensions start, but Join does not push notifications to the PC. Even after manually starting Chrome, it still won't work. The diagnostics test stops at "Testing registration on Join's server...". Join only starts working properly after I kill the Chrome processes and restart Chrome manually.

I use:
    Windows 10 Pro 1709 16299.904
    Chrome 73.0.3683.103 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    Join Chrome Extension 1.8.10

Just for the record, I refuse to use the Join Windows 10 app, as it requires the use of Microsoft Store. I would love a standalone Windows application, though.

What can be done to make Join run with Windows properly?

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi there. I do not have that issue myself. Is it maybe solved if you re-install Chrome?

3. Potatoes

Potatoes New Member

I highly doubt that, as this occurs on two different computers (work and home). Do you simply start your PC and Join successfully pushes notifications from the phone?

4. Potatoes

Potatoes New Member

Did you try restarting your computer after changing the Chrome setting? Turn "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" and restart your PC. Notifications won't go through and even after you start Chrome the diagnostics test will fail.

5. joaomgcd

But does that work for me :( That setting is enabled for me, and it still works after a restart.

6. Potatoes

Potatoes New Member

It's odd. Could it be because my account is on trial (which ended now and I am not sure if it's worth purchasing with this bug)?

Are there logs that I could send you?

7. joaomgcd

No, that shouldn't be related at all... It really seems like something is blocking it from starting up normally on your PC...

8. Potatoes

Potatoes New Member

But that's two different computers that are not related. I could try a third one.

9. joaomgcd

Sorry about that... Maybe something on the network? :( I'm really clueless...

10. Potatoes

Potatoes New Member

Okay, played around more with it. If I remove the extension and install it again without changing any settings, it works for a while, even after a restart. Then I start the PC the next day and I get the same issue - no notifications and diagnostics get stuck at "Testing registration on Join's server". From time to time it glitches out worse and it stops at "Getting account details", even my name disappears at the top right, so it seems like some authentication issue.

11. Potatoes

Potatoes New Member

I am forced to reinstall the extension every day for it to work. Kind of defeats the purpose of "start in background". It does push some of the notifications even if it fails the diagnostics (calls, SMS), but can't get the SMS list, for example. Any fixes?

12. joaomgcd

It does seem like something on your PC might be "cleaning" stuff that it shouldn't after a while... Do you know if you have something like that installed?

13. Potatoes

Potatoes New Member

Not really, this persists on both my computers which have completely different stuff installed.

14. Potatoes

Potatoes New Member

Is there a way to install the Join Windows 10 app without logging into the Microsoft store? I would prefer a standalone application, but this deters me.

15. joaomgcd

Unfortunately no, that's only available in the Microsoft store, sorry :( I really wish I knew what's going on with your use case...

16. Potatoes

Potatoes New Member

That's not too helpful. Would you like to check the logs or something? There must be a way to debug this.

17. joaomgcd

Can you please try this:
    - go into Chrome
    - settings
    - extensions
    - enable developer mode
    - click on join.html
    - go to the console tab
    - run diagnostics and see it get stuck
    - see if anything appears in the console logs