Open Dismiss only working on notif tab, not sms. chrome

Discussion in 'Join' started by Gump, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Gump

Gump New Member

I just installed Join and have noticed some interesting behavior. Using Chrome extension.

When receiving an SMS, the popup in Chrome shows "Dismiss Everywhere" and "Reply Directly." When pressing dismiss, or reading the text in chrome in the sms tab, the notification is not cleared from my phone. However, when opening the extension, going to the notification tab, and dismissing from there, it functions properly. I have repeated this many times and it is consistent. Dismissing SMS via SMS popup wont work, dismissing from notification tab always seems to work. Are these two locations sending different commands?

Thanks!

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hmm, they should work the same actually... Do you know if the dismiss everywhere option is not working for other notifications either? I mean for app notifications. Thanks

3. Gump

Gump New Member

Hey, thanks for the reply!

Other notifications all clear normally. I've always had issues clearing SMS notifications from pushbullet before I came to Join. The app I use is YAATA, if that matters.

Semi-hijacking my own thread, but secondary issues is SMS deletions on phone aren't syncing with chrome extension either at the moment.

Other than SMS issues, loving Join and how it ties in so well with the Tasker universe :)

4. joaomgcd

For now to delete SMS messages from Join you have to go into the Android app -> Settings -> SMS and Phone Calls -> Disabel and re-enable the SMS service. That should get rid of deleted messages. I plan to eventually make this process automatic in the future. Hope this helps!

Glad you're enjoying the app! :)

5. Gump

Gump New Member

Okay, I'll cycle the SMS option every now and then to clear.

For dismiss errors, could you possibly add an option to detect if autonotification is installed and maybe use that to cancel notifications? Right now, when Join fails to clear the notification, I manually send a Tasker command via Join, to initiate a Task that has AutoNotification cancel the sms notification. works, but if I could automate that, it'd be great. Something like On Event > 'Join Dismiss' -> Run Task. ?

6. joaomgcd

How exactly are you making it dismiss the SMS notification? Do you just cancel all existing notifications from the app?

Join already tries to cancel the notification if its own notification service is running :)

7. Gump

Gump New Member

Yup, I have autonotif cancel all my SMS app's notifications and it works great. Just not sure why it wont clear via Join consistently. As I mentioned, had same issues with pushbullet and clearing sms notifs. Never figured it out :\

8. joaomgcd

The problem is that Join can't simply cancel all notifications because there could be notifications present from multiple people. What it tries to do is dismiss a notification which text exactly matches the one in the notification sent to the PC. Maybe your SMS app alters the SMS text that it puts in the notification somehow?

: dismiss, chrome, sms