Solved Edited SMS text without recipient, now have "undefined" in web UI

Discussion in 'Join' started by Alan Miller, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Alan Miller

Alan Miller New Member

From another device, when I try to go to send messages (or when it refreshes) it takes me to an entry for a message to "undefined" with that chunk of draft text. I can leave that page, but when it auto-refreshes it pulls me back onto it. Currently the text for "undefined" is a response I was trying to send to someone, because I entered it but it refreshed at the same time I was hitting "Send".

It takes me back to "undefined" from either the list of recipients/messages or from within a message chain with a single other person.

Note: This has been there for some time and may be a leftover from a bug fixed in the past, but I haven't been using Join heavily. This might be resolved if I could delete the message, but since there's no recipient it doesn't show in the list in Join (or any way to delete) I'm not sure of any way to do that.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Sorry, can you please just clarify where you're seeing this? Is that in Chrome?

3. Alan Miller

Alan Miller New Member

Ah, sorry. This is in Chrome on a SIM-less Galaxy S4, when I open SMS message notifications received from my regular phone. The URL (trimmed of unique info, and transferred with Join!) is: https://joinjoaomgcd.appspot.com/sms.html?deviceId=longhexstringremoved#

That same URL in Chrome on the PC didn't have the same behavior.

Interestingly, when I launch to Firefox on that phone it does basically the same thing. That page didn't work at all in Dolphin on that phone.

4. joaomgcd

Ah, ok, thank you :) Just so I can be sure of what's going on, can you please post a screenshot of that? I think that would help. Thanks

5. Alan Miller

Alan Miller New Member

I did a couple screenshots of getting to here, but not sure they'd be useful.

Attached Files:

6. joaomgcd

hmm, and what happens if you press the back arrow there?

7. Alan Miller

Alan Miller New Member

Sorry I didn't turn on email notification and missed this, but it looks like a moot point now with SMS integrated into the app instead of a web app.

8. gpho

gpho New Member

I'm having the same problem with an "undefined" recipient that I cannot delete. I can add messages to it, but it doesn't seem to sync.
    upload_2016-6-10_10-52-8.png
    The web app automatically refreshes to this thread, instead of to the list of contacts, which is rather annoying.
    I also see it on the Chrome extension:
    upload_2016-6-10_10-52-57.png

9. joaomgcd

What happens when you click on the back window in the chrome extension?

10. gpho

gpho New Member

Not sure what you mean by "back window", did you mean "back button"? The Chrome extension back button works fine -- it returns to the list of contacts. Altogether the problem is worse on the web app than in the Chrome extension. On the Chrome extension, I just have an extra contact which doesn't bother me much. On the web app, every time it refreshes, it takes me into that conversation with undefined.

11. joaomgcd

Sorry, I meant back button, my bad. :)
    Can you please try this:
    Does it work after you do this?

Thanks in advance

12. gpho

gpho New Member

Thanks for your help. I followed your steps (except for #3 I went to "Resources" tab in Chrome because there is no "Application" tab). When I refreshed the SMS Web UI, it initially says "No SMS found" but after a few seconds, it reloads, and unfortunately the "undefined" contact and conversation is still there (and loads immediately).

13. joaomgcd

14. gpho

gpho New Member

Yes, by "refreshing" I meant that I did follow your steps: closing the tab and returning to the SMS Web UI as instructed. I even tried restarting Chrome after deleting all the key-value pairs, but that didn't help either.

Interestingly it seems to save any draft text messages I write on my phone into this conversation. But it only holds one message at a time (the most recent one).

: sms, undefined