AutoRemote Major performance degradation after last Play Services Update

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by Artimis, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Artimis

Artimis New Member

First, I will admit that I am still using an older version of AutoRemote (3.0.43) and Tasker. However, everything has been working great until today.

I believe my Google Play Services may have auto-updated and now there are major delays in actions between AutoRemote and Tasker. I have not updated/changed anything else on my end (I have "Do not update apps" in the Play Store enabled but this setting ignores Play services updates).

Examples:
    1) If I run a tasker to send an AutoRemote message to another device (through WiFi or GCM), the other device will receive that message almost instantly but Tasker will stall on that step for ~40 seconds before moving to the next one.

2) If I send an AutoRemote message to my device (through WiFi, GCM, or BT), I can see that the message was sent successfully and received by my device nearly instantly. However, the task that is triggered by the profile associated with the message will take ~30-60 seconds to fire.

3) Opening AutoRemote itself causes the app to lag for 20-30 seconds before any action is registered (e.g. press of the settings or log buttons)

However, if I send a notification to my device, that is received/shown instantly (although any message sent along with is subject to the delays outlined in #2).

I don't see any errors or anything peculiar in the logcat other than a few messages indicating AutoRemote is spending a lot of time in the main thread (don't know if this is benign or relevant).

Is anyone else experiencing these issues? I would try updating AutoRemote to the newest version but I've read some reports that doing so might break my current URL. I have a lot of devices configured to send to that URL that would be a real pain to update if that breaks.

Thanks.

2. Artimis

Artimis New Member

Resolved.

So apparently, AutoRemote relies on Google Play Games and the new services update seems to have caused problems between AutoRemote and the version of Play Games I had installed.

Updating Google Play Games (which I don't even use) appears to have fixed the issue.

3. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Very weird (AutoRemote shouldn't use that at all), but I'm glad that fixed it! :)

4. Artimis

Artimis New Member

It looks like it is trying to use it for some achievements feature. I see a message at the bottom of the AutoRemote screen that shows the personal URL that says "Sign-in now to check out achievements and try to unlock them all!"

That pops-up immediately now that Play Games has been updated (was very laggy prior to the update). Perhaps this feature was removed in later versions of AutoRemote?

5. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Ah yes, that is correct :) It was removed later.