AutoRemote Raspberry Pi 3 to Android

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by MikeW, Feb 7, 2018.

1. MikeW

MikeW Member

I'm a long-time Tasker user and have most of the AutoApps, but I've recently gotten a Raspberry PI 3 and am looking for some help on a project.
    What I want to do is use Python on the Pi to send commands via Bluetooth to my Android tablet and be able to act on them with Tasker.
    I have my tablet paired with the Pi, but when I try to connect, I get a message about no services being available. (Not surprising.)
    Seems like AutoRemote might be a possibility, but I'm not quite sure what I need to do.
    I figured if there was any place I could get help with this, it would be here.
    Any advice, or pointers to online resources?
    Thanks.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi there. Unfortunately AutoRemote can only receive through bluetooth from another Android device. But you could send through wifi. Did you try that?

3. MikeW

MikeW Member

Thanks for getting back to me.
    No, I hadn't tried wifi; I don't yet know how to access that via Python. In my project, I can't rely on having a wifi network, but as long as it would work peer-to-peer, that would be fine.
    Can you provide any references that would help me get that up and running? Of if not AutoRemote, is there some other way? I just mentioned that because it seemed like a possible candidate.

4. joaomgcd

Ok, in Tasker enable the AutoRemote Wifi service with the AutoRemote Wifi action.
    Then you can send messages to it using the following URL:

http://PHONE'S_IP:1817/?message=hello

Hope this helps!

5. MikeW

MikeW Member

Thanks once again. However...in order to have an IP address, wouldn't the device need to be connected to the internet? I need to be able to communicate without any outside networks. Though... I do have a travel router that I could configure as a standalone access point, which should give me a local IP only. I'll have to try that. Thanks.

6. jusplainmike

jusplainmike New Member

I recently created a bridge for mqttwarn to autoremote that you might be interested in. Using the requests library in python it is pretty simple to send autoremote messages. I am in the process of implementing this using POST in my project. Using mqttwarn I am able to direct messages to my android devices simply by publishing the data using MQTT to a topic autoremote/device. The 'sender' field of autoremote has the topic address.

I tried to link the url to my project file but it is not letting me. Forum thinks I'm a spammer for some reason.

7. MikeW

MikeW Member

I would be very interested in that. Sent you a PM

8. jusplainmike

jusplainmike New Member

How do I fix the issue of not being able to post links? Anytime I try and post a single url to my project it pops up spammer. I understand the need to prevent forum rot but I'm a real person lol.

9. joaomgcd

Does it work if you post without links, then edit your post with the links? :)

10. MikeW

MikeW Member

To put some closure on this: I got a communications channel working that fits my needs.
    I figured out how to create a Bluetooth port on the pi and the Python code I needed to use it. On the Android side, I used AppInventor to make a simple app that could receive commands via BT and save them to a file. Then I used Tasker's "file modified" event to trigger reading those commands and acting on them.
    Kind of convoluted, but it works for my current project.