Solved Some Initial Thoughts

Discussion in 'Join' started by flu13, Feb 22, 2016.

1. flu13

flu13 Member

First off, bless you for creating this. I love your work and hope that Join can grow into what I want it to be.

A few initial issues (these are all in reference to the Chrome extension):

• URLs received in text messages are not clickable.
    • The SMS window sometimes "refreshes" to an old state, not showing newer messages.
    • When I type an SMS and hit enter, then start typing another, my typing is blocked by the pop-up messages about SMS status (usually one or more "not available" followed by "sent").
    I would love to see an SMS get marked as read on my phone when I respond to it via Join. I'd like to be able to dismiss notifications on my phone from Join, as well.

Overall, this is great at this point. I look forward to playing around with it more and figuring out what I can do.

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Thank you very much for your feedback :)

• Ok, I'll try adding that
    • I tried fixing this yesterday. Can you check? :)
    • Ok, will fix
    About making SMS marked, unfortunately there's no way for me to do that as far as I know.

Thanks again!

3. flu13

flu13 Member

The refresh definitely appears better now. I also see that you removed the refresh timer.

As for marking SMS read, I believe you can do it. Pushbullet marks them as read when you reply, so there exists some mechanism to do so.

4. flu13

flu13 Member

You know, it might be sufficient to dismiss the notification on the phone to mark the SMS as read. I have also used a combination of Desktop Notifications and MightyText. MT doesn't mark the message as read, but if I dismiss the notification from DN, the text is marked as read.

5. flu13

flu13 Member

Oooh. I see the "SMS Sent" message already moved. You work fast, sir. :)

6. joaomgcd

Ok, I'll add setting SMSs as read to my todo list. Thanks!

7. flu13

flu13 Member

And now the links are clickable! Joao, you're amazing.

joaomgcd likes this.
  8. flu13

flu13 Member

Another thought - Just as I'd like to see the ability to dismiss notifications on my phone from Join, I'd also like to be able to dismiss them from Join via the popup.

Example: I use Sunrise Calendar on my phone. 5 minutes before a meeting, I get a pop-up reminder from Sunrise. That little pop up is usually all that I need to remind me of my meeting. Right now, I have to go click on the Join extension in Chrome and click the X to dismiss the notification from Join. I then also have to go dismiss it on my phone.

So what I'd love to see is both options - Dismiss Notification from Join and Dismiss Notification from Phone. The former would leave it on my phone, but wouldn't show the little "1" counter on the Join icon. The latter would do that as well as dismiss the notification on my phone.

9. joaomgcd

Oh, so you'd want to dismiss on chrome but not on the phone? Ok, adding to todo list, thanks

10. flu13

flu13 Member

One more thing - it occurred to me that if I clear a notification from my phone, I'd like for the notification to clear from Join, as well.

11. joaomgcd

That should already be happening though. It never happens for you?

12. flu13

flu13 Member

It's not, though 99% of my notifications are SMS. Let me try some others and see if they disappear. Right now, I just dismissed an SMS notification from my phone and it's still there in Join (Chrome Extension).

13. joaomgcd

What you dismissed is a notification from an SMS app right? :) That's not related to the Join notification so one won't affect the other.

14. flu13

flu13 Member

Ok, my mistake. It does work on everything except SMS notifications.

Now, if I turn on notifications for my actual SMS app (chomp SMS in this case), I'll get the standard Join SMS notification and for some reason TWO notifications from chomp. If I dismiss the SMS notification from my phone, the two chomp notifications will disappear from Join, but I can only get rid of the Join SMS notification by clicking on the X.

15. joaomgcd

yes, that's normal behaviour. I'm guessing that one of the Chomp notifications has a "Reply Directly" button? :)

flu13 likes this.
  16. flu13

flu13 Member

Yes, it does. And if I click that button, it behaves the same way as clicking the same button on the Join notification.

Is there a way to improve this? I'd love to get a single notification (like I do with only the Join SMS notification), but have it synchronize between Join in Chrome and my phone like other notifications.

I was playing around today to try to figure out a way to have Tasker mark my SMS messages as read or dismiss the chomp notification, but I couldn't manage it.

17. joaomgcd

What about simply disabling Chomp notifications? Wouldn't that work?

18. flu13

flu13 Member

I think I'm not explaining the situation properly right now. Let me summarize..

Right now, chomp notifications are not turned on. I have SMS notifications from Join being sent to Chrome. This works as designed, in that I get a pop-up with the "reply directly" button. When that pop-up disappears, I have the "1" on my Join icon and I can see the SMS notification under my notifications. If I click on this pop-up or this notification, the Join SMS window opens in Chrome. If I dismiss the SMS notification on my phone, the SMS notification in Chrome Join (which I'll call CJ to keep from typing it over and over) remains. If I reply to the SMS from CJ, the notification remains on both CJ and my phone. If I reply from my phone, the phone notification goes away, but the CJ notification remains.

If I turn off SMS notifications to Chrome from Join, and turn on chomp notifications, then I get the duplicate notification, which is mildly annoying, one of which has the reply directly button. I don't really like the reply directly button, because I don't like that odd little Chrome pop-up box. I prefer the Join SMS window. If I click on the chomp notification pop-up or notification (either of the two duplicates), it actually opens chomp on my phone. If I dismiss the SMS notification on my phone or either of the two notifications in CJ, the notification disappears in both places. If I reply to the SMS from CJ, the notification remains on both CJ and my phone. If I reply from my phone, the phone notification goes away, as does the CJ notification.

To me, the ideal situation is a blend of these two with some new features. I'll indicate which situation these items come from by referencing the above two paragraphs as s1 (scenario 1) and s2 (scenario 2). If it doesn't exist in either scenario, I'll just put (new).

Ideal scenario: I receive an SMS and get a single notification in CJ (s1). The pop-up should have a "Reply" button which opens the CJ SMS window with this SMS thread open (new), or perhaps a smaller dialog that just let's me enter text and hit enter (semi-new). It should also have a "Dismiss" button, which dismisses the notification from CJ, but not from the phone, and a "Dismiss on Phone" button, which will dismiss it from both CJ and the phone (new). If I click on the pop-up, it should open the CJ SMS window with this SMS thread open (s1). If I dismiss the notification from CJ or from my phone, it should disappear in both places (s2). If I reply to the SMS from CJ, it should dismiss the notification in both places (new). Pie in the sky: In the CJ SMS message thread, I'd like to see a button that appears if there is an active notification related to the thread, and clicking on it would dismiss the notification in both CJ and the phone (new).

Now, having said all of that, I don't want to sound like I'm complaining. This app is great. I'm just hoping to contribute in some way to the improvement of the app. Like others, I've tried similar tools like PushBullet, MightyText, Desktop Notifications and Alt-C. I'd much prefer to support this app (and in fact just "purchased" a couple of days ago), because I love Tasker and AutoPebble, and I know that these are apps for people who want things to work just so. My "just so" situation involves all of my notifications being synchronized between my phone, Chrome and my Pebble, and I want to be able to dismiss notifications (including SMS) in any of those three places and have the other two follow suit. I'm this close to it. :)

Thanks again, Joao, for all of your great hard work and for being so responsive and open to ideas on this forum. It's a rarity among developers.

19. joaomgcd

Thank you for the explanation.

Yes, it would be great to make it all just one notification that would sync with the SMS app's notification as well. The problem is, there's really no very good way of knowing which notification that is. Maybe I can check the notification's text and check if it exactly matches the SMS text so I know that is the notification?

Question: do both Chomp notifications have exactly the same text? Or do they differ by same characters?

20. flu13

flu13 Member

One has a timestamp.

[​IMG]

: join