Compatibility with Android TV

Discussion in 'App/Feature Suggestion' started by Daniel D, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Daniel D

Daniel D Member

Dear João,
    Today, while trying to set up a profile on my Nvidia Shield, I noticed that only some of your Tasker plugins can be installed on it (AutoVoice, AutoRemote) while others are not (AutoNotification, AutoInput). Is there a reason for this? I know Android TV has some limitatios but I would rather know things for sure.
    Thanks!

PS: By the way, Android TV could offer some great use cases for your plugins!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi there.

I think it just boils down to apps having the "touchscreen" feature on by default :) So if I don't specifically disable that feature it'll not work.
    are you seeing that on Google Play?

Thanks

3. Daniel D

Daniel D Member

I don't think that feature can be seen in Play store. I only noticed the availability.
    It would be cool to make everything available for ATV too, as you upload new versions and warn people that some functionality might not be available on ATV. (so you don't have to test everything on ATV)

You're welcome!

4. joaomgcd

Ok, next time AutoNotification and AutoInput are updated they will no longer require a touch-screen and should work :) thanks again

5. Daniel D

Daniel D Member

You should do that with all AutoApps. I just happened to need AutoNotification and AutoInput so I noticed.

6. joaomgcd

Thanks :) Did you try AutoNotification with the new update? Does it work correctly?

7. Daniel D

Daniel D Member

Thanks for the update!
    I didn't get to check it out because I only got the update (on the phone) this morning, as I was getting ready for work. I will check it tonight and report back.

8. joaomgcd

Thank you

9. Luis Mazoni

Luis Mazoni New Member

Hey guys, I'm also trying to make some automation with android TV. But I can't seem to make AutoVoice recognize my voice commands. It does recognize when I enable continuous mode, but then no other tv command works. Do you guys think you can help me with that? Thank you so much.

10. Kimagure

Kimagure New Member

Hi. Any hope of having an AutoInput update compatible with Android TV soon (especially the nVidia Shield) ?
    I'd like to add some integration with my home automation system, and I cannot install it on the shield :(

Thanks !

Edit : I was able to sideload the AutoApps and AutoInput apks on the Shield TV. AutoApps crashes on launch, but it's not important because but it seems by subscription was found correctly.
    AutoInput is working fine : I was able to remap the volume keys on my Logitech K400 USB keyboard to modify the volume level on my receiver... As a bonus, it seems the "touch slider" on the Shield Remote is also using the same Volume Up/Volume Down key assignment, so it also works with the remote :)

A true support of Android TV would be great of course, as this would allow installing (and updating !) directly from Google Play....

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  11. joaomgcd

So you can enable the accessibility service correctly on Android TV? :)

12. Kimagure

Kimagure New Member

Yes. In the settings menu, you can go to "Accessibility", then "Service" and then activate the Accesibility service for the applications you want.
    This is true on the current version 3.1 of the Shield firmware.

The "Device administrator" feature is not there though, so this may be problematic for some Tasker features or plugins.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  13. joaomgcd

I need to buy an Android TV so I can really test these things.... Thanks for the info!

14. Luis Mazoni

Luis Mazoni New Member

Hey @joaomgcd did you manage to release the apps to android TV? I've tried to install them by Play Store and wasn't able to. Had to download their apk instead.
    Although I'm having some big issues with AutoInput on My Android Tv... The main thing is that autoinput doesn't containe Up, Left, Down, Right and Select actions... the Click action itself don't do much in the android tv environment.
    Do you think it would be possible to add these action to AutoInput? I intend to post a demo of the all the awesome thing I'm already able to do and thing that I'm still doing using: Tasker+AutoApps+ShieldTV+Harmony+Philips Hue
    Thank you for the awesome plugins.

15. joaomgcd

Unfortunately you would need root for that to work, sorry! I really need to get me an Android TV so I can debug these features correctly :p

16. Qlab

Qlab New Member

@joaomgcd sorry to dig up an old thread, but I was wondering if you ever made any progress on Android TV support.
    IE did you ever get your hands on an Android TV?

I am trying to use AutoNotification, but I cant get past the part where it asks to "Enable Notification Intercept".
    The app crashes and throws me back to the desktop.
    Running on a Shield - Vr 6.3

Im trying to set up some automations for my Home-Assistant.io server. Basically I want to be able to tell my home automation server when media is playing and use that to trigger things in my house. The tests for this from my phone work fine.
    AutoNotification looking for notification from specific apps (Plex, Netflix, Hulu, HBO, ect).
    When a notification is present send an HTTP Post in Json format over to my servers API.
    That toggles a boolean switch in Home-Assistant, and the automations take care of the rest.

17. joaomgcd

Hi there. Android TV doesn't have notifications, so a notification intercept service wouldn't make sense :)

18. maddog

maddog New Member

Hi João,
    it's a quite old thread - but it's possible to install auto remote on Nvidia Shield with Android TV?
    The lite-version works quite well for me - installed from apk - but the paid version is not available for me...

Michael