AutoVoice AV and Android Auto

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by Evil Genius, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

So I messed up and bought one of those cheap Chinese car double din head units a few months back. What a waste of money. The head unit has android 4.4.4 which is a dinosaur and it is constantly crashing.

So I have decided to spend a little money on a Kenwood or Pioneer Android Auto head units. The thing is, I have not seen any of these units with Google play store. I need AV and Tasker in my vehicle.

Do any of you have any ideas?

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Sorry, I can't help you there. :( I have no experience with Android Auto whatsoever.

3. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

That's alright. I could mirror the phone onto my head unit.

I have been wanting a voice controlled assistant using Autovoice. I absolutely HATE saying "ok Google", I prefer naming it something I choose. Do you know of a way we can use AV and get the results that "Ok Google" would use?

4. Daniel D

Daniel D Member

Those Pioneer/Kenwood head units are running Android (most probably a KitKat flavor), but not in the normal way. Adam Outler did some hacking to a Pioneer NEX unit some time ago but, as far as I know you'll never be able to run classic Android interface and API's on such a HU.
    Your best bet is Android Auto or some sort of mirroring (never really tried Pioneer's AppRadio).