Open Great app - I'm having some teething troubles...

Discussion in 'Join' started by LarryA, Jul 29, 2016.

1. LarryA

LarryA New Member

I've just installed Join on all my devices and think it's brilliant, however I've encountered some problems, in order of severity...

1. Whenever I receive a notification from another device to my Sony Xperia Z5 Premium it crashes the device. The screen flashes alternately between my background wallpaper and a black screen. It also comes up with the message Xperia System UI has stopped. The only solution is a hard reboot. Consequently I've had to stop sending any notifications to that device, which is annoying as it's my main phone.

2. I enabled encryption on all devices. When I enabled it on my work phone, a Moto G (1st Gen) it triggered a warning from Maas360 that my device was not encrypted, which breaks my corporate security policy. It was unable to encrypt the device again to clear the error. The only solution was to disable Join encryption on all my devices.

3. Some actions on some notifications don't work. E.g. the BBC iPlayer Radio app has play / stop button in the notification. The stop button works, but the play button doesn't. Sony's Music app has previous / pause / next buttons which also don't work.

4. Chrome extension notifications don't always show up. Sometimes I have to click on the extension icon in the Chrome toolbar to trigger the notifications to display.

For now I think I may have to revert back to my current set of custom AutoRemote notifications and Tasker for syncing notifications across my devices. That allows me to completely customise which notifications to send where, and what I want them to look like. The only complaint I have about that solution is that I can't group notifications!

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for your feedback!
    1. Does that also happen if you send a notification with no Icon? Unfortunately there's nothing I can do to prevent a buggy system UI from crashing :(
    2. Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Why would Maas360 complain that you didn't enable encryption in Join?
    3. How many buttons do those notifications have?
    4. Can you tell which notifications do not show exactly? And when you click the toolbar, do they then show the lower-right notification popups?
    Thanks again!

3. LarryA

LarryA New Member

Joao,

1. Difficult to test, as all notifications have an icon of some kind, even if it's just the app icon. It has consistently crashed with every notification that I have sent it, from a variety of applications. I'm not using a custom rom or any kind of dodgy system UI - I'm using the official Sony marshmallow OTA update for my device. I've never encountered any other bugs in their system UI.

2. Maas360 is complaining that my device is not encrypted - not that Join encryption is disabled. My device is encrypted, but Maas360 can no longer detect it correctly. Even uninstalling Join and Maas360, then reinstalling Maas360 has not resolved it.

3. The BBC iPlayer Radio app only has 2 buttons, both of which are icons without a label. One button for play or pause, another button to close the app. I was incorrect in my original statement - neither play nor pause work in this app.

4. Notifications just appear to be delayed. They won't come through for 10 minutes, then they'll all come through at once. If I click the toolbar the notifications appear, along with the lower-right popups.

4. joaomgcd

Hi again.
    1. I have a suspicion of what is causing that issue, but nonetheless it's still an issue with the Sony ROM. Even if an app misbehaves in any way, the System UI should never crash. With that being said, I suspect it's happening because of a Marshmallow only feature that I added to Join notifications. Would you be willing to test a modified version of Join just to confirm this theory?
    2. Maybe that happened when you enabled Join's accessibility service? I think I read somewhere that it might have that effect...
    3. Can you please show me a screenshot of that notification? If the notification doesn't have a standard format then Join might not be able to get which buttons it contains.
    4. Can you please try to push something else onto Chrome when notifications are delayed? For example, try to push a web page to it and check if it opens immediately. If it doesn't, can you check chrome://gcm-internals/ and check what it says under Connection State?
    Thanks again

5. LarryA

LarryA New Member

1. Yep, happy to try a modified version of Join.
    2. Quite possibly. However, even uninstalling Join hasn't fixed it. I've even uninstalled and reinstalled Maas360 and it's still complaining. I might need to completely reformat the device and start again :S
    3. Screenshot of the Sony Music app (different app, same problem). I don't have my tablet with me at the moment so can't screenshot the BBC iPlayer Radio app.
    [​IMG]

4. The delay is intermittent, so it may take a while to catch the scenario.

6. LarryA

LarryA New Member

Re: point 2,
    I *think* I might have resolved this. Your comment on the accessibility service pointed me in the right direction. I also noticed that it was no longer prompting for my device PIN on start up. A bit of googling found this: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=79342 Comment #18 was enlightening.
    There are interesting comments in that thread about the interaction between encryption and accessibility services...

I re-enabled the start up PIN, rebooted and so far I haven't had any errors from Maas360.

7. joaomgcd

8. LarryA

LarryA New Member

1. That version fixed it for me.

3. This is a different image that I found online - not my musical preferences! :)[​IMG]

9. joaomgcd

1. Then it really is a bug in the OS! Marshmallow introduced a new feature where the status bar icon can be any random image and as it seems sony doesn't support that correctly and crashes! :( This sucks big time because I'll probably have to add specific code for sony devices...
    3. Yeah, that notification is not standard I'm afraid. In those situations Join can't get its contents correctly, sorry!

10. LarryA

LarryA New Member

1. That's a shame. Hopefully they'll support it in a later build. Fingers crossed for the Android Nougat changes then! I'll keep running your special version until you can add the Sony specifc code.

3. I guessed as much. For those notifications I'll have to stick to Autoremote notifications, with Tasker tasks to execute the button actions then.

Thanks for all your help Joao, as always. It's great to see such a responsive developer and I really like all your AutoApps. My favourite is AutoWear. I hope you're planning to update it for Android Wear 2.0?