AutoInput Monitor UI and Copy List Entry to Variable

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by BenGmuN, Sep 30, 2016.

1. BenGmuN

BenGmuN New Member

Hey Joao and other AutoApps gurus,

I'd like to know if it is possible to achieve the following with AutoInput, please, and if so, how :)

I have recently taken delivery of an Amazon Echo. I want to capture everything it hears after I say the trigger word ("Alexa"), but there is no way of forwarding this information easily, other than 'watching' the logs via the Echo webpage. I've successfully tested this using Jason Ratliff's method as described here http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/17752-capture-what-echo-hears-into-a-variable/ which works, but requires an always-on Windows PC.

Everything that the Echo hears is also logged in the Android app in real time (example in attached image). What I would love to do is have Tasker react to this screen changing (i.e. when a new entry appears at the top of the list) and then set a variable that contains the latest command ("alexa hello" in the case of the attached example).

Screenshot_2016-09-30-09-46-29.jpg

Is this possible? If so, how?

Joao, if you're planning on doing another fundraiser to get you one of these to play with (like with the Logitech Harmony Hub), I'd be happy to contribute so you can help out n00bs like me!

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately I think Alexa wouldn't work in Portugal anyway :(

About getting the changes, you could have a task run in a loop which would do an AutoInput UI query every 10 seconds or so and see if the top text changed. :) That would probably work.

João

3. BenGmuN

BenGmuN New Member

Hey Joao,

Thank you for coming back to me so fast.

How do I make AutoInput perform the UI query on the top entry? When I tap 'variable setup' and switch to the app, swipe down and click 'accept', AutoInput shows me the list of the fields that it picked up. I tick the box next to the field that contains the message I want and then specify a variable name. I entered 'echomessage' When I click on Variables, I then see:

i1475232749268=:=echomessage

I've then added a step to my task to 'say' %echomessage - this doesn't do anything.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again,

Ben

4. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

The app needs to be showing for it to work, so as the first step you need to open the app in question :)

5. BenGmuN

BenGmuN New Member

Thanks again for getting back to me - I had done that, but still no joy.

In the end, I created a custom Alexa skill based on Jason Ratliff's other guide that sends messages to AutoRemote. This is a lot more reliable, but unfortunately requires that the spoken commands have to be in the form of (and I'm using the AutoVoice syntax here as an example so it's easier to relate) "Alexa (?<instruct>tell|ask) TASKER to (?<action>open|close|switch on|switch off) the (?<device>.+)". What I really want is to be able to just say "Alexa (?<action>open|close|switch on|switch off) the (?<device>.+)" (i.e. without the 'ask tasker to...' part). This is possible with the original method.

Obviously I realise this now becomes an Alexa skill configuration thing, not an AutoInput/AutoRemote question, so feel free to mark this as resolved.