Join Integrate Google Assistant with Tasker using Join + IFTTT

Learn how you can make Google Assistant issue Tasker commands using Join

1. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

joaomgcd submitted a new AutoApps project:

Integrate Google Assistant with Tasker using Join + IFTTT - Learn how you can make Google Assistant issue Tasker commands using Join

Read more about this project...

2. aabaud

aabaud New Member

Just used this technique to start playing a radio station on my Sonos system. Amazing.

3. Options

Options New Member

I'm confused on this step:
    Go to https://joinjoaomgcd.appspot.com/ and select the device that has Tasker. Then select Join API
    When I go to the link, it says "No devices" and I am not sure what "Tasker" is; an app?

4. joaomgcd

Check the beginning of the tutorial. It tells you what apps you need to install. :) Tasker is one of them. And since you don't have any devices on that page, you'll also need to install and run Join. Hope this helps.

5. Carmine D'Anzica

Carmine D'Anzica New Member

It works just with pixel and Google home, right? It doesn't work with other android devices, is'nt true?

6. joaomgcd

It works with any device if you do the mod :)

7. letsgoflyers81

letsgoflyers81 New Member

This works great, but does the integration go both ways? I have several applets where I send a command to Google Home which uses IFTTT to trigger Tasker tasks on my phone. I'd like to do the opposite as well, have a Tasker task trigger an IFTTT action. Is this possible?

8. joaomgcd

9. Elizabeth Ellis

Elizabeth Ellis Member

I set this up and out of the box, my google home is really good at saying okay. In fact, you know where I'm going with this maybe...it only says okay.
    Now I finally realized it does do autovoice things, which is awesome. I love how well the voice recognitions is.
    Is there a way to let the google home be google the rest of the time?
    For new users: This isn't a drawback. Infact, despite thinking that autovoice profiles didn't yet work(they did. I just thought I had commands for play music when I deleated those). I bought a second google home yesterday because the sound quality is so fantastic. It's a whole other experience. (Even when I try to make the home not hear me (so that only my phone will hear okay google) the home picks it up.

10. joaomgcd

@Elizabeth Ellis it should only say "ok" if you do AutoVoice commands with it :) Are you saying that it always does that now, even with regular commands?

11. Elizabeth Ellis

Elizabeth Ellis Member

yeah...like no matter what I say...it says ok. The only time I've heard it say anything like anything else was when it says...i'm sorry but the network is not connected or something like that...
    with all that I can do with autoapps, it's not that big of a deal...in fact...I bought 2 google homes just to do autoapps stuff...is there a way you can get commission from google if people buy from your link or something?
    They should give you some sort of server discount :) or make it free cuz you make their product worth buying more of...
    haven't set up my second one yet...i'll see what it does.

12. esance203

esance203 New Member

Hi @joaomgcd, I'm hoping you can help me here. I followed the guide and set up profiles and tasks in Tasker to toggle my a Vera switch connected to some lights I have. The tasks themselves work when I hit "play" in tasker but it doesn't seem like my profile i created to respond to "lights please" is getting triggered. My Google Home responds to the autovoice command, and replies with the message I set, but the switch never toggles and a don't get a toast message. Any ideas what could be wrong?

13. joaomgcd

This will trigger a Join profile, not an AutoVoice one. Is that the issue maybe?

14. esance203

esance203 New Member

I actually just fixed this last night and came here to update. That was it! I switched to the join profile and everything worked. Thanks!

15. robroi2000

robroi2000 New Member

Hi @joaomgcd,
    since AutoVoice is not working anymore I followed your guide and I receive the response and notification from IFTTT.
    But the profile is not triggered. I tried both the AutoApps and Join event trigger.
    Sending the Tasker command from the Join webpage does trigger the profile.
    Do you have any idea what may cause the problem?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  16. robroi2000

robroi2000 New Member

Sorry, it was my fault.
    I used 'Text To Say' instead of 'Text' in the Join URL.

17. joaomgcd

Glad you got it!

18. mafia86

mafia86 New Member

Is this only working in several languages that I can choose when I'm making a recipe on ifttt.com?

19. joaomgcd

20. mafia86

mafia86 New Member

What if I have google assistant in different language, but I say command in english and assistant recognize this command? Will it be working? Because it isn't working in my case and I'm wondering if I did something wrong or it it will not be working in that way