Open Register a device manually

Discussion in 'Join' started by L.Drake, Dec 30, 2016.

1. L.Drake

L.Drake Member

I'm currently tinkering with join to extend my "network management" solution.

Setup currently is as follows:
    I have a router that has served it's time, slapped openwrt on it. On this router I have a small script listening on a random port chosen on script startup, router itself is the only publicly exposed system. I push a request to this port with a json object, containing device, a hash of a currently hardcoded password and the command. Depending on the command, various scripts get executed, depending on password and command in the json object. I have yet to find a way to enable two-way-communication yet.
    I've wrapped a lot of this up in a nice little flask app serving up a web interface in my LAN for adminstration and stuff, but I'd like to have confirmation, and this is where I have the most issues.

I'm interested in using join as a transport, but I need to find a surefire way to communicate with my router, so I need to have it registered on my device... Is there something I can do for that?

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

I'm not sure I'm following exactly, but are you saying you want to register your router as a Join device?

3. L.Drake

L.Drake Member

Yes. Basically, I want to use Join as a transport layer instead of having an open port to a possibly vulnerable web service.

4. joaomgcd

Unfortunately the receiving device already has to have a way to receive GCM messages. Maybe you can use Chrome to redirect the message via HTTP to the code running on the router?

5. L.Drake

L.Drake Member

As far as I can tell there IS a GCM implementation in Python. Lemme check...

6. joaomgcd

Make sure it's an implementation to receive messages and not send them :)

7. L.Drake

L.Drake Member

Reading the GCM docs is confusing the shit out of me...

Would using the GCM XMPP interface work for this?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  8. L.Drake

L.Drake Member

Regarding the GCM API, would I need to register a new app or can I use the Join API key?

9. joaomgcd

This would only work if you could somehow register a device with the GCM servers which I doubt you can do with a router that's not owned by google...

10. L.Drake

L.Drake Member

I'm still poking around with possible solutions... Will report back if I find something.

Edit - There are at least two python packages actually enabling communication with GCM, but I'm not too sure whether they provide device registration.
    For reference, these are python-gcm and pushjack.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017