Open Inappropriately merged SMS threads

Discussion in 'Join' started by cupnoodles, Feb 10, 2017.

1. cupnoodles

cupnoodles New Member

Hi,

I wanted to start off by saying that it's been a pleasure using Join! However, I've been having an isolated issue with two SMS threads. On my phone, I have one thread with person A and a separate thread with both person A and person B. On my Join Chrome app, both of those threads are combined. Any message sent through the thread on my computer will be sent only to person A.

There are a few other issues with my SMS, but this one is the only bothersome one. No other threads are merged. Do you know how I can go about separating the threads on my chrome app? Please let me know if there's anything I can clarify.

Thank you!

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Hi there, thanks for your report!
    Can you please check if that person's phone number is different in one thread and the other? I mean different in like a missing + sign, or a couple of parenthisis are missing, etc?
    Thanks in advance

3. cupnoodles

cupnoodles New Member

Hi, I just checked and the phone number, parentheses, dashes are all exactly the same.

If it helps, I can describe some of the other issues I'm having:

(1) On my phone, there is a thread with person C and D. In Join on Chrome, I see one thread with person C and D (normal) and one with person C, D, and my own #. The one with C, D, and my # has some of the texts that I sent to the group, but not all of them. The one with just C and D has most of the messages.

(2) For threads with certain people where I have sent a picture, I will see the following in Join on Chrome: one thread with person E (normal), another thread with person E listed twice. The one with person E listed twice contains all the pictures I've sent to that person. This is the case for conversations with multiple people.

Other than this, the texting service has been working great and I've enjoyed using the app a lot. Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  4. joaomgcd

Thank you very much. Just to debug this a bit, can you please try disabling and re-enabling the SMS service on your Android device and check if the conversations are built correctly on first run? Thanks in advance, and I'm glad you're enjoying the app!

5. cupnoodles

cupnoodles New Member

Tried that and the problem persists. The exact same chats are messed up in the same way! Also tried disabling SMS service -> change default texting app to default Samsung Messenger -> re-enable SMS service. The result is the same.

Also tried the above, but plus deleting the SMS folder Join files in my Google Drive as an additional step before re-enabling SMS service. The result is also the same.

6. joaomgcd

7. cupnoodles

cupnoodles New Member

Hi, the main issue I described in the OP is resolved after using this version and correcting my phone #. Thank you for your help!

However, I still have the following problems:

(1) On my phone, there is a thread with person C and D. In Join on Chrome, I see one thread with person C and D (normal) and one with person C, D, and my own #. The one with C, D, and my # has some of the texts that I sent to the group, but not all of them. The one with just C and D has most of the messages.

(2) For threads with certain people where I have sent a picture, I will see the following in Join on Chrome: one thread with person E (normal), another thread with person E listed twice. The one with person E listed twice contains all the pictures I've sent to that person. This is the case for conversations with multiple people.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  8. thunderup

thunderup New Member

I just joined the forum to report I'm having this exact same issue. I have one thread on my phone with my wife that includes both SMS messages and picture MMS messages. However, on the Chrome extension it splits this into two threads, one with her name that contains all the SMS messages and another thread with her name listed twice that contains only the pictures.

9. joaomgcd

soccerguy243 likes this.
  10. thunderup

thunderup New Member

Just installed this version, disabled and re-enabled the SMS Service, and the issue is fixed for me! Thank you very much!

11. cupnoodles

cupnoodles New Member

Everything seems completely fixed for me too. Thank you for your help!! :)

12. thunderup

thunderup New Member

Well, I reported that the threads were fixed in the extension, which they are. SMS and MMS are now all in one thread, but I'm no longer getting notifications from the Chrome extension when I receive an SMS or MMS.

13. joaomgcd

@thunderup can you receive other kinds of pushes in the chrome extension?

14. thunderup

thunderup New Member

Yes, all other notifications and everything else works just fine.

15. thunderup

thunderup New Member

@joaomgcd Any ideas? I've double and triple checked my settings and I'm still not getting SMS/MMS notifications through the Chrome extension. Notifications for other apps work fine...ESPN, email, etc. I'm using Textra as my SMS app, if that matters.

16. thunderup

thunderup New Member

@joaomgcd Just realized I'm also not getting incoming call notifications with this latest version, so it's not just limited to SMS.

17. thunderup

thunderup New Member

@joaomgcd So I just figured out what the problem is. In settings under 'SMS and Phone Calls' there's a setting for Blocked Devices. I have 5 devices listed and and didn't have any of them blocked. Since I only want my notifications on 2 of the devices I went ahead and blocked the other 3. Now SMS and Phone Call notifications are working as they should. Strange that I would have to block some of the devices to get it to work on the ones I want, but I'm happy it's working now.

: SMS bug