Solved Can't sign in with Google Account

Discussion in 'Join' started by drronnie, Nov 23, 2016.

1. drronnie

drronnie New Member

Hello! I download application but can't sign in.
    How to fix this problem?
    Device: Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
    Thanks a lot.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately it seems that that device doesn't work with Google Sign In for some reason :( Sorry, really wish I could help

3. Jacob Myers

Jacob Myers New Member

I have a Mi Mix on MIUI 8 China ROM and it doesn't work for me either. The login fails with "Couldn't connect to Google Play Services. Details: null"

I have seen this come up before in other threads. Being the China ROM I had to install all of google services myself, but everything else is working. This would seem to indicate the problem lies somewhere in how join is attempting to login to google. I don't know exactly how join is attempting to do it, but perhaps this is an account manager problem. In most cases it would be safe to assume the default/first account on the device is a google account (as most ROMS have you sign in to google first). In this case (maybe even on the Global ROM from Xioami) the first/initial account is your Xiaomi Mi account. Google accounts are added later.

Is there a possibility that perhaps the code attempting to pull the account for sign in is hitting the Mi account and then failing when it doesn't look like/work like a google account?

My device isn't rooted or anything, but I am interested in solving this problem as I really love using join. What might the process be to start trying to narrow down the cause and see if a solution can be found? Since clearly all other google auth works in all my other apps that use it then it seems like it must just be a minor bug perhaps in order of operations or an assumed value somewhere.

4. joaomgcd

Join is using the most recent form of Google authentication, where most apps use a less recent version. For example, AutoVoice uses the older version. Are you able to try to sign in on that? That would help us figure this out a bit :)

Thanks

5. Jacob Myers

Jacob Myers New Member

Actually that seems to have lead to a solution. I installed AutoVoice and tried to sign in for the achievements, which gave me an error that google services needed contacts permission. I checked and it did have contacts permission, but then I figured I would check all the standard google service apps for permissions to be sure. Most of them were missing a few odd permissions, they don't request them on install so they were not enabled is my guess. I am a bit new to per-app permissions as my old android was still on 5 and didn't have as much control as 6 offers.

In any case I believe what worked was Google Services Framework had 2 "additional permissions" called instant message read and instant message write. Turning on those permissions seems to have allowed join to login. To be fair I enabled a few other permissions on Google Play Services as well so maybe it was some combination of them.

In any case it does seem to work now, the issue is probably related to one of the service layers (Google Play Services, Google Services Framework, or a related connector like Google Contacts Sync) not having the permissions it needs to run properly. Not sure if there is a way to notice/catch this kind of error on join itself to present the user a message about permissions needing checked, but I bet that is the primary issue. Since the ROM I use and probably the MIUI Global ROM drronnie use are not straight from google there is likely to be this kind of issue. Other ROMs may even exhibit this behavior, but at least now you have a good suggestion which is to try playing with the permissions on a bunch of the service layer apps.

Unless somehow signing in on AutoVoice allowed the sign in on join to work, which would be a weird workaround, but also worth suggesting for anyone stuck.

6. joaomgcd

That's interesting! Thank you very much, added that info here!

7. Nkmalani

Nkmalani New Member

Hi,
    I am a big fan of your apps! With the new version of autovoice, does the above solution still work? Couldn't find the achievements section on the new app.
    Or will there be another workaround?

8. joaomgcd

@Nkmalani this is related to Join :)
    The latest AutoVoice version doesn't have achievements anymore. People were complaining about them so I removed them altogether.

9. Nkmalani

Nkmalani New Member

Hi,
    I realise this is related to Join. I can't get Join to work on MIUI 8. Getting achievements started on autovoice was somehow supposed to solve that problem right? But i don't know how to get Join to work anymore. I really want to stay using it. Any ideas?

10. joaomgcd

Can you sign in in AutoVoice if you go to the devices screen in the main app?

11. Nkmalani

Nkmalani New Member

Yes @joaomgcd I can. Was Getting Google API - 500 internal server error. Not getting anymore. But still can't sign in on Join.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  12. joaomgcd