AutoTools Error message

Discussion in 'AutoApps' started by scotts, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Osiedacz

Osiedacz New Member

Understood, but it would appear that even though you requested it, my phone didn't grant it. Is it possible your app is having an issue with Samsung's implementation of android 6 permissions? Like was the phone supposed to confirm with me that you can have that setting?
    From what I understand, when I check the permissions, if your app was successfully given that permission, it should say granted in this list. Like it does for the app that works. I also noticed that all the other people reporting this error are using Samsung devices.
    This is missing for the basic settings:
    android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS, granted=true, flags=0x0

2. joaomgcd

joaomgcd Administrator Staff Member

What permissions do show as granted then? Thanks again!

3. Osiedacz

Osiedacz New Member

If you go back about 3 posts I attached a text file with the permissions dump from AutoTools and from the other LED tasker plugin that works. In the section after the install requests, you can see the ones that actually were granted so you can compare them.

4. joaomgcd

Osiedacz likes this.
  5. Osiedacz

Osiedacz New Member

Thank you, I'm installing it right now and will report back in a bit.

6. Osiedacz

Osiedacz New Member

So I tried it and now when I edit a task that has the "System Settings" option you app tells me I need to grant permission. So I was able to toggle it to grant permission fine, but I still get the error and when I run the sys dump I see the permission still isn't granted. I tried this both by installing over my current installation and by uninstalling and reinstalling the app. Same thing happens both times. Here is another text file with the sys dump.
    Also, the question I was asked by the app about granting permission seemed backwards. It said the permission was not enabled and asked me if I wanted to keep it that way. At first I wanted to say "Yes" to enable, but then figured out that I had to say "No" to enable.

Attached Files:

7. joaomgcd

Really?? I thought that would solve it!
    My guess is that the other app is not using run time permissions, correct? That's the only thing that I can see that would make this happen

8. Osiedacz

Osiedacz New Member

I think you are right. Using old install permissions that you see all at once during install. Strange though, I gave autotools permission, but it still doesn't show up in that dump. Also, it doesn't show in the app manager when I look at permissions.

9. Osiedacz

Osiedacz New Member

So it seems that some of the "system" settings work and others still give the error that says AutoTools cannot write to the secure settings. I also now know how to give your app "system write" settings from the applications setting screen. It was just hidden one layer deeper. running the adb sys dump still doesn't say permission is granted however. Is there any logging or other things I can try to help you get the info you need?

10. joaomgcd

My guess is this is another one of those Samsung "optimizations" that they like to have and make life harder for everyone :( I think we've ran out of options at this point...

Osiedacz likes this.
  11. Osiedacz

Osiedacz New Member

Well thank you very much for all the effort. I am sure at some point someone will figure out how to get the write settings enabled for the Samsung devices. Like you said, there must have been something that Samsung did differently that others have figured out but not documented.

Thank you.

12. scotts

scotts Member

Thanks digging into this. Note, I updated to nougat and the issue persists.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Osiedacz likes this.
  13. CoolRaoul

CoolRaoul Member

If it can help, I've noticed that some of the settings for which the exception "You cannot keep your settings in the secure settings" is throwed when trying to set value using your app, can be written fine using the old (and apparently not supported anymore) Secure Setting app. (still working in Nougat)
    I've successfully tested with the "aod_mode" system variable on my Samsung S7
    Problem is I'm not confortable having to rely on a unsupported app.

Osiedacz likes this.
  14. scotts

scotts Member

I can confirm this...aod_mode, and others, not working in AT, work using SS.

15. aillez

aillez New Member

At first I already got this error message too. I'm on 7.1.1 Nougat.
    I try several things such as grant permission for write secure setting, change configuration but still got the same error.

So I compare to Secure settings (App) which support to change secure setting parameter.

The difference is secure setting (App) need to put app to system partition.

So I try to put Autotools to system partition (Convert to system app) and then issue is gone.

No error since then.

Hopes this help.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

16. scotts

scotts Member

I believe root access is needed to move app to system, correct?

17. aillez

aillez New Member

Yes, unfortunately.
    I'm using Magisk to obtain root access while still pass safetynet and use AppSystemizer to make it's system app (safetynet still pass with this method.)

18. mcfasa09

mcfasa09 New Member

This has been fixed not in AutoTools, but in Tasker. You can now use +, Settings, Custom Setting, and enter whatever value you want. I was receiving this error on multiple system settings prior to figuring this out with the newest Tasker update. :)

19. joaomgcd

Yes, Tasker can do this natively now :)